Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Circular Polarizer

Circular Polarizer - Use It or Lose It?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Circular Polarizer - Use it or Lose It?

• Use It
    • Lose It

Today was a severe clear day. Another day where I have the circular polarizer on more often than not. Seems I get my best results on severe clear days rather than puffy cumulus days were most people find sucess with this filter. Probably due to the fact that I focus on the clouds when they are out and anything else in the frame gets neglected in my brain. BUt that is neither here nor there in this case.

First Image: Straight lens - ISO 100, TV 1/250, AV 11 @60mm

Second Image: With Circular Polarizer - ISO 100, TV 1/30, AV 11 @66mm

I really like the polarizer. True it does really change the contrast of the scene but on severe clear days it does put your vision and focus on your subject not the sky. I have to vote use it.

The white balance looks significantly different on the two photos. I think the non-polarized photo would be improved with some raw processing.

The colors and contrast look fantastic on the polarized one. Seems like it's only good for some situations at 100 iso.. 1/30 speed on 66mm lens I'm guessing you had a tripod setup.

I agree that you can do wonders in post. I am a firm believer though that getting as much done pre-processing so I do not have to do as much, if any post-processing.

Setting the white balance on a raw image is hardly post processing. Note that you were set to awb on those 2 pics, so maybe add that to your pre-processing checklist.. the cool thing about raw though is you can set awb and worry about it later.

• 1 month later...

Archived