• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Bad METARs

I've recently noticed 2 METAR sites that unfortunately do not report SPECIs and/or augment ASOS properly. One is a LAWRS site (non ASOS) in the OKX area, the other is a ASOS service level C site in the LWX area. The LAWRS site did not report IFR conditions and a thunderstorm with gusty winds between METAR observations. At the ASOS level C site, a thunderstorm with hail was not augmented into the METAR and SPECI observations (which ended up being coded as -RA). Both sites have airline service, the LAWRS site is a reliever/alternate airport for EWR.

Since this is a signifiicant problem regarding aviation safety, who can I talk to about this? I'm sure the respective NWS offices are aware of these issues, and since (sadly) weather observations are now dictated by the FAA I'm guessing it is someone in that department that should hear about this. Anybody know of any contacts?

1) It's METAR... they aren't all going to be perfect.

2) It would help if you give us the station IDs in question.

1. They'd better be close to perfect as possible. Aircraft depend on the data in METARs for fuel planning, runway analysis and everything else. Not complying with service level standards seems to be common, but not reporting thunerstorms, hail or issuing SPECI's (like severe weather never occurred) is not acceptable.

2. SWF & CHO

As an automated system, ASOS has technical limitations and it will never be perfect. There are about 950 of them managed by the FAA, NWS, and DoD. An automated system is prone to error during times of extreme weather - that's why the major airports have an FAA contract observer to augment the automated observations.

1. They'd better be close to perfect as possible. Aircraft depend on the data in METARs for fuel planning, runway analysis and everything else. Not complying with service level standards seems to be common, but not reporting thunerstorms, hail or issuing SPECI's (like severe weather never occurred) is not acceptable.

2. SWF & CHO

Fuel planning and alternate airports are ascertained from the TAF not METARs.

Archived