• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New and Improved

DaculaWeather

I've been slowly updating my website with a totally new design, I still have 100's of pages to update (mostly model pages) but I'm making progress! Everything looks best in Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, but still works in IE 8 and 9.

Let me know what you think!

How do you have 100s of pages? Should they all be generated?

How do you have 100s of pages? Should they all be generated?

Generated in what way? I don't use any type of database driven content management system, or a pre-designed template. I create my own pages, basically by hand. I have "templates" I use depending on the content of the page and I make everything as modular as possible. But each of the old pages will have to be converted. In some cases I've completely redesigned a page because of the new width of the design, I've even gotten rid of some pages by consolidation.

What started out to be a web site for local weather got out of hand.

Generated in what way? I don't use any type of database driven content management system, or a pre-designed template. I create my own pages, basically by hand. I have "templates" I use depending on the content of the page and I make everything as modular as possible. But each of the old pages will have to be converted. In some cases I've completely redesigned a page because of the new width of the design, I've even gotten rid of some pages by consolidation.

What started out to be a web site for local weather got out of hand.

This might be a good time to switch to one of those more automated systems. This isn't 2002 anymore and they aren't that hard. They'll payoff big in the end and will make your life a lot easier. Wordpress, Drupal, Zend, etc. make it fairly easy. Even rolling your own from PHP isn't difficult at all, especially if you have simple content that isn't frequently changed.

I have access to Contao, the latest and greatest version. The content of the pages still is a hand process. It's not as simple as you think.

Many of the packages you mentioned are more blog type apps and don't really lend themselves to weather websites very well unless the site is primarily a blog. I'm going to be experimenting with Contao to see how well that would work, I already have a server setup for it.

Hey Steve.

Very nice looking. Is that a template of your design?

Saratoga's are nice but they have become so popular that it seems every site uses them. It's nice to see something different.

On the link to wxforum.net you have it as wxforum.com. May want to change that.

Dave.

Hey Steve.

Very nice looking. Is that a template of your design?

Saratoga's are nice but they have become so popular that it seems every site uses them. It's nice to see something different.

On the link to wxforum.net you have it as wxforum.com. May want to change that.

Dave.

Thanks Dave! Yes, it's my design and thanks for catching that, I'll get it fixed when I get home. I agree with you about Ken's templates, they are everywhere, that was the reason I went the route I did, I wanted mine to look different from the rest. I've never used Ken's templates (actually, I have them here at http://www.gwinnettweather.com !) for my Dacula site, I started using the VWS templates when I first got started, but then changed to my own design shortly after that. It's been an evolution, each time I come up with a new design, I come up with better ways to do things which leads to a new design.

I've got a buddy that does web design for a living and he's offered to let me use Contao to come up with a design that could live in a database driven content management system. He would like to be able to sell the template and hosting for it, as a package. I'm not sure I want to get into all of that though.

Archived