• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Photo of Young Red tail Hawk

Early spring we had 2 Red tail hawks build a nest in one of our very large Pine Trees. Not long ago they had youngins. It didn't take long for them to grow. This picture is from last Thursday late afternoon. My daughter and i were doing hitting drills in the back yard when they started making a lot of commotion. This just shows the one, i'm trying to get the others over from facebook. Neither of them could fly, but the older hawks were seperatly in other trees, maybe 50 yards away calling them. i think they were trying to get the young to fly to them. It was cool to watch. My daughter took a picture that didn't turn out, but the one shook, it was like someone tore open a down pillow and dumped it from all the baby feathers (molt ??)

post-1291-0-46406400-1338909556_thumb.jp

Early spring we had 2 Red tail hawks build a nest in one of our very large Pine Trees. Not long ago they had youngins. It didn't take long for them to grow. This picture is from last Thursday late afternoon. My daughter and i were doing hitting drills in the back yard when they started making a lot of commotion. This just shows the one, i'm trying to get the others over from facebook. Neither of them could fly, but the older hawks were seperatly in other trees, maybe 50 yards away calling them. i think they were trying to get the young to fly to them. It was cool to watch. My daughter took a picture that didn't turn out, but the one shook, it was like someone tore open a down pillow and dumped it from all the baby feathers (molt ??)

Hawks will have two layers of down when they are young. The second down is usually darker than the first and when their feathers come in...it does make for a mess at times :lol: Great picture :)

Archived