• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Doppler radar location

NeffsvilleWx

Question: How does one know which doppler station to use?

Upon downloading GR level 3, I suddenly have a myriad of sites to select from. I'm almost directly between 2, latitude-wise. One is northwest, the other, southwest. (At 0.5 degrees, both are about 10k feet in elevation at my location)

This particular pattern has the events moving to the southeast, so I've been using the site to my northwest, thinking that it'll provide better data, as each degree of elevation views a lower section of the cells, versus the southwestern station.

What is the common procedure for tracking storms/events on doppler?

Question: How does one know which doppler station to use?

Upon downloading GR level 3, I suddenly have a myriad of sites to select from. I'm almost directly between 2, latitude-wise. One is northwest, the other, southwest. (At 0.5 degrees, both are about 10k feet in elevation at my location)

This particular pattern has the events moving to the southeast, so I've been using the site to my northwest, thinking that it'll provide better data, as each degree of elevation views a lower section of the cells, versus the southwestern station.

What is the common procedure for tracking storms/events on doppler?

You have a unique situation in central Lancaster, where you're equally far (about 100 miles) from four of the surrounding sites. The best thing I can suggest, and you're already doing this... use the radar (maybe multiple radars) from the direction of the approaching storms. If you want to view storms overhead, there isn't much you can do. All four radars will be sampling 10k feet at its lowest tilt.

You can try to use TPHL with 248nm reflectivity.... but that is the most you'll get out of a TDWR, which is meant for short range coverage of nearby airports.

Yes, Lancaster is in a tough spot. Technically the closest 88-D radar is Sterling,VA (KLWX) but since storms usually come in from the NW, State College (KCCX) is likely the best default option. TPHL is good with its 248nm scan but it doesn't provide much detail beyond the Susquehanna River to the west.

At the Millersville Weather Center we have a special agreement with WGAL that we get a copy of their live feed from their C-band radar up on the hill top just to the NW of Wrightsville but a simple animated version is available via WGAL's website.

http://www.wgal.com/weather/super-doppler-8-radar-loop

thanks for the responses.

looks like it's KCCX for those approaching from 270+ degrees and sterling for those from 180-270. I'll handle any other direction accordingly.

kinda sucks that only one site is viewable at a time with GR level 3. Would be kinda nice to be able to poll multiple sites at once.

thanks for the responses.

looks like it's KCCX for those approaching from 270+ degrees and sterling for those from 180-270. I'll handle any other direction accordingly.

kinda sucks that only one site is viewable at a time with GR level 3. Would be kinda nice to be able to poll multiple sites at once.

You can open up multiple programs.

Archived