• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Help with shooting lightning

So, starting to take a stab at this photography deal. I have a Sony nex-3 camera with a 55mm lense. I figure it would be a solid starter camera.

Trying to capture lightnig shots of cg-cc shots. My question comes in, what are some settings as far as aparture, exposure, iso, shutter etc.. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated .

(yes, I do have a tripod)

Edit: it's a 18-55mm lense

Playing around is obvious but here is the quick advice I tend to give.

First, go out and shot night protography. Highways, farms, etc. See how longer and longer exposures tend to play with the image (well...and getting nothing but black pics at first).

Manual everything!!!!

Start easy.

-high ISO (800-1600)

-open the camera up (f3.5 or as low as you can get that number)

-expose a whole set of the same image as you can. Start at 1 second exposure and go through to 5 minutes or more.

Once your home and view the images you shot, do it again, this time play with a lower ISO (400 - 800). Then flip it around, go back to your previous ISO (800-1600, whatever it was) and change to f9.0. Then expose a whole set of images, just like before. Change scenes, from lots of light, to nothing but moon light.

Oh...and:

-always tripod and on stable ground. Minimal shack. If windy, try some light weights tied to just below the tripod head, but not touching the ground.

-a remote release (wireless is better, but corded is a cheap alternate) is highly recommended.

-don't waste your money on lightning triggers. Most are made overseas and are a POS (and sold here illegally as they are not FCC type accepted).

There is a lightning trigger that you can get which will automatically shoot lightning as they occur but that's if you got money to throw around.

I'll add to the previous posts, set your focus to infinity if there's that marking on the lens, otherwise I'd say try to focus at something far out.

I've never done lightning photography before (it's rare to see it where I live), but I'd imagine it's similar to fireworks:

-Tripod is must, remote release recommended

-Use bulb settings if possible. Otherwise underexpose a couple stops because the lightning will light things up!

-Focus at infinity

-When in doubt, f/8 (aperture isn't really as important). If you use bulb though don't open up wide or you'll wind up overexposing.

-Given the long shutter speeds (thus the opportunity for more noise), use as low as ISO as possible.

This shot was taken in July 2000 with a film camera ISO 100 film f/16 infinity focused and 30 second exposure. You have to stop the exposure once you capture a flash hence you need a B setting and a locking cable release. I would use ISO 80 (which is what I use for my telescopic Solar pix) in manual mode on a digital camera-remember that reasonably close lightning is as bright as a camera flash.

post-92-0-31499400-1337837379_thumb.jpg

Steve

I do not have alot to add. Just get the camera out and take pics. With the experiience will come the info on how you like to do it. The neat thing about digital is that there is a delete/erase button. Makes it real easy to get rid of the bad shots. Nobody else will be the wiser. The only hint I can think to add is that an 18-55mm lens is kind of close. You probably will need a stike within a mile of your location. That is like really close. Be prepared to get wet and try to be safe. Well at least as safe as you can be outside in an electrical storm.

Archived