• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Confluence/Diffluence

H2Otown_WX

Confluence (diffluence) means streamlines - the path an air parcel takes through the atmosphere - are coming together (moving apart). Confluence by itself does not tend to suppress cyclones, but confluence is often a sign of convergence, which does. The unscientific way of explaining why confluence suppresses cyclones is that convergence aloft increases mass in the column and raises surface pressure, "blocking" the cyclone from gaining latitude. That's not exactly what happens, but it's close enough for the layperson.

Confluence (diffluence) means streamlines - the path an air parcel takes through the atmosphere - are coming together (moving apart). Confluence by itself does not tend to suppress cyclones, but confluence is often a sign of convergence, which does. The unscientific way of explaining why confluence suppresses cyclones is that convergence aloft increases mass in the column and raises surface pressure, "blocking" the cyclone from gaining latitude. That's not exactly what happens, but it's close enough for the layperson.

Duh, I knew that, lol. Thanks for the explanation though..you could go in some more depth, I am a met. student, believe it or not. :lol:

Bump..LocoAko, where's my mathematical representation?

:lol: I just saw this. What were you looking for? I guess I'm a bit unsure of what you're unsure of. Could you be more specific?

image014.gif

As for the difference between confluence/diffluence and convergence/divergence, this graphic from The Weather Prediction is good.

5.jpg

It is useful to represent confluence and diffluence using the normal coordinate system, in which the axes are orthogonal to the streamlines. The axis parallel to the streamline is called S and the axis perpendicular is called N. Confluence can be expressed mathematically using these coordinates as CON = -V*(dA/dN), where dA/dN is the change in the angle of the wind and the S axis, with respect to N, and V is the wind magnitude. So having an increase in the angle as N increases means that the wind is spreading apart, which is diffluence. Since the confluence term ends up being negative as a whole according to the formula, we get negative confluence which is diffluence.

• 3 weeks later...

Difluence and divergence are different mathematically in that divergence represents the change in area of a fluid parcel...while difluence will change the shape of an air parcel but not necessarily its area. This has obvious implications as to why, for example, a parcel's vorticity changes due to convergence/divergence.

• 5 weeks later...

:lol: I just saw this. What were you looking for? I guess I'm a bit unsure of what you're unsure of. Could you be more specific?

image014.gif

As for the difference between confluence/diffluence and convergence/divergence, this graphic from The Weather Prediction is good.

5.jpg

This is way late, lol. I was looking for an equation more than diagrams..I've seen this on habyhints, good stuff.

P.S. Congrats on your red tag! :thumbsup:

Archived