• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
April in like a LION?

PatrickSumner

Since we are just about seven days away from this storm system affecting the Central United States, I felt it was prudent to go ahead and start a thread. The computer models agree on a storm, but vary widely on the characteristics/specifics. The 12Z GFS would mean a widespread severe weather event for quite an expansive area, however the EURO would imply the severe threat would be more localized in nature. Nonetheless, the potential is certainly there for a decent storm system to plow into the Central United States as we turn the calendar and head into April. Below is the 500_vort_ht for hour 174... Let the discussion begin!

post-5115-0-79977900-1332809203.gif

I think a more general mid range topic in the main weather discussion may be more prudent here, judging by the rather wide range of verbatims by the event's time across the models.

If Hoosier agrees...I will let you create the topic. Just want to have somewhere to discuss this particular storm system. I see lot's of potential with this one...

If Hoosier agrees...I will let you create the topic. Just want to have somewhere to discuss this particular storm system. I see lot's of potential with this one...

I believe he's suggesting we talk about it in the March general discussion thread, which I'd tend to agree with.

Not to mention we were going to try to stay away from thread titles like this for specific events...

not sure where to put this thread, but I'm thinking starting two different threads in the General weather discussion would be a good idea until the models show some agreement. Maybe one could be titled late March early April west of Chicago, the second one the same title but east of Chicago. The way I see it, there could be severe west of Chicago followed by snows, where east of Chicago will be dominated by frosty conditions with chances of snow, and the frosty conditions could get into the SE US as well. Just a thought.

The way I see it, there could be severe west of Chicago followed by snows, where east of Chicago will be dominated by frosty conditions with chances of snow, and the frosty conditions could get into the SE US as well. Just a thought.

oh my

sorry guys just a thought, looks like the severe will stay west of Chicago, kind of wanted to keep severe discussion separate from the cold discussion as much as possible. Oh well I tried.

Not according to several of the models/ensembles that have shown this system.

ok I will buy that models and ensembles are not showing cold in the east, but I'm not sure I believe them, first off all the ECMWF shows the MJO strongly in Phase 7 at the end of March to early April, at the same time most models show a weak negative to neutral PNA which I think should put the western trough position off the US coast, this should allow the ridge to build over the Rockies IMO. At the same time it looks like the models want to take the NAO strongly negative creating some kind of blocking. To this amateur eye what am I missing??? That looks like a cold signal to me

Outside of potential capping issues, the 00z GFS on Palm Sunday (120 hrs)... :yikes: (For a large part of this board's coverage, although IL looks to be in the most dangerous position if something like that were to verify).

Impressive dry punch at H7 here:

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0347 AM CDT WED MAR 28 2012

VALID 311200Z - 051200Z

...DISCUSSION...

MEDIUM-RANGE MODELS CONTINUE TO DEPICT THE EWD EJECTION OF A

SUBSTANTIAL CHUNK OF THE PERSISTENT NERN PACIFIC UPPER

SYSTEM...SHIFTING ACROSS THE INTERMOUNTAIN WEST DAY 4 /SAT 3-31/ AND

THEN INTO THE PLAINS DAY 5. HOWEVER...SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES

PERSIST BETWEEN THE TWO MODELS...EVEN MORESO THAN THE MODEL RUNS

FROM 24 HOURS AGO.

WHILE THE PASSAGE OF THIS SYSTEM ACROSS THE CENTRAL -- AND

EVENTUALLY THE ERN/NERN U.S. -- WOULD LIKELY BE ACCOMPANIED BY

FAIRLY SUBSTANTIAL SEVERE POTENTIAL...THE DIFFERENCES IN TIMING AND

EVOLUTION OF THIS SYSTEM AS DEPICTED IN THESE TWO MODELS CAST

CONSIDERABLE DOUBT AS TO EVEN ROUGH APPROXIMATIONS OF TIMING AND

LOCATION. THE ECMWF APPEARS SUBSTANTIALLY MORE ROBUST WITH RESPECT

TO SEVERE POTENTIAL -- PARTICULARLY BEYOND DAY 4...WITH ITS MUCH

SLOWER/NEGATIVELY-TILTED PROGRESSION OF THE TROUGH INTO THE PLAINS

AS OPPOSED TO THE GFS WHICH SHIFTS A MUCH FLATTER SYSTEM QUICKLY EWD

ACROSS THE N CENTRAL U.S./GREAT LAKES REGION. GIVEN THE DEGREE OF

MODEL DIVERGENCE...WILL ONCE AGAIN FOREGO AN AREAL HIGHLIGHT THIS

FORECAST.

..GOSS.. 03/28/2012

Raised a bit of an eyebrow at the bolded part.

Although I agree with Jim that the potential veering of the LL winds and subsequent effects on the warm sectoral moisture depth should be watched here.

Some offices are not impressed at all by Monday's set-up (Sunday into Tuesday).

Defin of interest - the GFS has been underplaying instability this spring - I do believe. Will be curious once this thing is sampled a bit better.

Here are the 500 mb maps for Monday - defin interesting. I believe the Springfield, MO office was concerned about the lack of rich moisture return. PAH has said there is only a small chance of severe. Will have to read what some other offices are thinking.

Images from wright-weather.com - used with permission

post-77-0-50861600-1332957773.gif

post-77-0-04471800-1332957777.gif

post-77-0-57428700-1332957768.gif

post-77-0-60466200-1332959189.gif

post-77-0-69833000-1332959199.gif

Archived