• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monument Mountain Great Barrington, MA

I just wanted to share some pictures I took on a hike today with thebigrombalski (Diane) at Monument Mountain in Great Barrington, MA. It was an absurdly warm day for this time of year. There was still some snow and ice in the quartzite boulder field on the east side of the mountain though. The west side of the mountain had some budding red maples, and believe it not, moths and butterflies. I've never seen these guys before April around here let alone March 12th. Crazy...

img2946s.jpg

img2950k.jpg

img2951r.jpg

img2948fr.jpg

img2944n.jpg

img2937m.jpg

Nice pics Mitch. Always love the view of the Catskills from there. Have you checked out Mt.Alander/Bash Bish? Amazing how different the south western Berks are to the NE Berks. wow.

Yes, I've been to Bash Bish. That's a great place to go. I've got some pics from there too (see below). It's the highest waterfall in MA, but is only accessible from NY via NY-22 and NY-344. There is a road that goes there from Mt. Washington, MA, but I think it was closed after Irene. I don't know if it's been reopened yet since I was there last in October. The second pic looks W toward the Catskills.

img0054ev.jpg

img0066hy.jpg

Yes, I've been to Bash Bish. That's a great place to go. I've got some pics from there too (see below). It's the highest waterfall in MA, but is only accessible from NY via NY-22 and NY-344. There is a road that goes there from Mt. Washington, MA, but I think it was closed after Irene. I don't know if it's been reopened yet since I was there last in October. The second pic looks W toward the Catskills.

img0054ev.jpg

img0066hy.jpg

I grew up very close to Bash Bish. It was a place I spent lots of time at. The Bottom pic is taken from the rocky outcropping above the upper parking lot. That's a great place to watch the hawk/eagle migration in the fall. Huge kettles can form there, hundreds of birds at a time. Pretty cool. In the summers we would jump off "J" rock which is the rock in the middle of the falls. It was in this main pool area that we all learned rock climbing. Low consequence if you fell. The road from Mt.Washington forks above the falls, I think the road that runs to the upper parking lot on the NY side is still closed. if you go left at the fork you can access the MT.Alander trail network. Mt Alander is a great place with the summit covered with wild blueberry bushes, Mind the bears. This is also a great place to launch a paraglider. Just down the ridgeline there is a paragliding club (Brace Mtn) and a great little 9 hole golf course. When my friends from AK visit we go there. Awesome people and a mellow place to hang out whether your flying or just watching. If you want to do a long hike you can park at the Mt,Alander trail head and then hike to Bash Bish then loop around and go back to your car via the access road.The whole area has a special place in my heart as it kindled the spirit of adventure for me when I was a kid.

http://vimeo.com/6308142

I grew up very close to Bash Bish. It was a place I spent lots of time at. The Bottom pic is taken from the rocky outcropping above the upper parking lot. That's a great place to watch the hawk/eagle migration in the fall. Huge kettles can form there, hundreds of birds at a time. Pretty cool. In the summers we would jump off "J" rock which is the rock in the middle of the falls. It was in this main pool area that we all learned rock climbing. Low consequence if you fell. The road from Mt.Washington forks above the falls, I think the road that runs to the upper parking lot on the NY side is still closed. if you go left at the fork you can access the MT.Alander trail network. Mt Alander is a great place with the summit covered with wild blueberry bushes, Mind the bears. This is also a great place to launch a paraglider. Just down the ridgeline there is a paragliding club (Brace Mtn) and a great little 9 hole golf course. When my friends from AK visit we go there. Awesome people and a mellow place to hang out whether your flying or just watching. If you want to do a long hike you can park at the Mt,Alander trail head and then hike to Bash Bish then loop around and go back to your car via the access road.The whole area has a special place in my heart as it kindled the spirit of adventure for me when I was a kid.

I've always wanted to that hike, but its a full day. Have to find the time to make the 45+ minute drive down there and do the hike. I guess I'll just have to look out for mother bear and her cubs. :yikes:

I have seen the no swimming signs around Bash Bish. Doesn't surprise me that people ignore it because it's a great looking swim hole. Quite deep near the base of the falls. Nice cold mountain spring water pouring down on top of you too.

Another local paragliding hot spot is on the east face of Mt. Greylock. I have family in Adams, and I've seen the paragliders coming down from the summit on clear easterly flow days in the summer. As you know, clear easterly flow days are relatively rare in these parts, so people usually take advantage of it when it occurs.

You were lucky to have grown up here. I grew up in the flat, snowless coastal plain of far SW CT. I would always envy the snowstorms up here. Not likely I'll end up back in that neck of the woods.

more of the view

Nice pics for a cell phone. Catamount was looking good as well. Still hanging on to the snow as best as possible.

The big quartzite column in the background is known as the devil's pulpit. The geology here is different from the granite or schist based geology of most of New England. In addition to quartzite, we have a good amount of marble. It is mined in quarries in Adams and Lee.

Archived