• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NWS zone forecast product

It does appear to be a GFE format editting issue. Our GFE focal point at my office can go in a tweak things to make the automated zfp wording more sensitive to sky cover or temperature changes, or less sensitive. If it was a more or less one time thing, it is possible they were tweeking some things in the formatter and forgot to change it back.... But the sensitivity to grid changes in sky cover, temps, precipitation, etc in the zfp wording is an office to office thing.

The general public generally doesn't use zones, they use point and click or zipcode to get forecasts.

Just before we went to one county one zone a couple of years ago our own internal internet hits at PHI showed it was about 99% point and click and 1% zfp. I know there are some vendors that still use the product, but at this point we just use it to generate the forecasts on the phone and nwr.

It does appear to be a GFE format editting issue. Our GFE focal point at my office can go in a tweak things to make the automated zfp wording more sensitive to sky cover or temperature changes, or less sensitive. If it was a more or less one time thing, it is possible they were tweeking some things in the formatter and forgot to change it back.... But the sensitivity to grid changes in sky cover, temps, precipitation, etc in the zfp wording is an office to office thing.

Exactly.

I thought your thread was sincere until I read this. There is an actual GFE software related explanation for this, but I'm guessing this thread was more about "exposing" those English as a second language, waiting to retire good for nothing NWS mets, so an explanation is not necessary nor desired.

Geesh. Rough crowd. Thanks for answering the question, though.

I frequently use the http://mobile.weather.gov site, which gives output in ZFP even though a zip code or specific location is entered. I was unaware that the ZFP product is rarely used and that software problems could be the issue regarding the strange wording that seems to pop up now and then, especially during complex events.

Geesh. Rough crowd.

Haha...that's laughable.

Why is this allowed to be published and tolerated?

Still doesn't explain why such garbage is published.

The meteorologists on this board tend to be more passionate about their jobs and level of expertise than your average Joe-blow-waiting-for-retirement-NWS employee (or any employee anywhere, for that matter), so I thought I would get a clearer answer.

You were given a probable explanation and a constructive course of action in the first couple posts. You don't need any more hand holding on this matter.

I frequently use the http://mobile.weather.gov site, which gives output in ZFP even though a zip code or specific location is entered. I was unaware that the ZFP product is rarely used and that software problems could be the issue regarding the strange wording that seems to pop up now and then, especially during complex events.

Use these links for Mobile http://www.daculaweather.com/forecast_prod_master.php

Rough crowd? What did you expect? you chose to insult NWS employees and anyone else who happens to make a living as a meteorologist. I'm guessing your about 15 or so, maybe younger.

#1. Don't use Facebook.

#2. Occasionally, NWS WFOs do not respond to e-mails.

#3. The issue of improper/confusing wording doesn't just seem to be a MFL WFO problem, I've seen it in other products on the mobile.weather.gov website.

#4. Occasionally, the response I get from a specific NWS office (or NCEP branch, like AWC) is incorrect.

#5. I know some weather enthusiasts and meteorologists are extremely sensitive and have very fragile egos, but since this product was clearly not acceptable and since I kept it anonymous I didn't think it would present a issue.

#6. The original post was a question, it wasn't a criticism, although the wording of the question can be seen as negative. But then again, I'm not sure how I could interpret the forecast wording in question in a positive way.

Anything else you aren't sure about regarding my post?

Just curious, can you give a specific example to #4?

Archived