Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm (Tornado) Chasing Experiences?

wxsniss

Hi everyone!

I'm a regular lurker / occasional commenter her in the New England forum for years, and ilke all of you, an avid meteorology hobbiest, especially before an impending snowstorm!

A friend and I are considering a storm-chasing trip next May 2012, and reservations are already filling up. I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any experience or recommendations for this.

We are checking out www.stormchasing.com

Reservations run $2400 not including flights.

Start and end in Oklahoma City

Time is a week in May 2012

Of course there's no guarantee we'll see a tornado... we could be sitting under a sprawling high pressure for a week. But they do anticipate we'll at least experience a supercell thunderstorm.

Lots of driving, ~200-500 miles / day chasing these storms, mostly in the afternoon-evening hours.

6 people / van, lead van has all the radar equipment.

Any experience / thoughts?

TIA!

You'll most likely run into chaser congestion problems, particularly if you happen to be chasing a major event (High-end Moderate/High risk setup).

Hope they know their routes well, in particular shortcuts and paved back roads (potentially dirt as well if they're confident about that sort of thing) that may not be on maps. You don't want to be caught in a spot either unable to catch up to a storm or with no escape when softball size hail or a strong/violent tornado is bearing down on you.

A lot of pre-analysis on potential mesoscale discrepancies and intensity of thermodynamic/kinematic environments will go a long way towards a successful chase.

$3000 is a pretty hefty investment, so if you find anything that may put you off, I'd try something else.

Archived