• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Analog Years....

Quick question for you guys that do a Winter Forecast. I am in the process of putting my ideas together, and I normally try to avoid reading anything prior to doing my own so as to not slant my opinion in one way or another.

But with that said, I was curious what ENSO analogs you are leaning on. I have 7 I have preliminarily chosen. Are you only looking at Winters with a La Nina the previous winter as well?

Quick question for you guys that do a Winter Forecast. I am in the process of putting my ideas together, and I normally try to avoid reading anything prior to doing my own so as to not slant my opinion in one way or another.

But with that said, I was curious what ENSO analogs you are leaning on. I have 7 I have preliminarily chosen. Are you only looking at Winters with a La Nina the previous winter as well?

Some people are using 2nd-year Ninas as a criteria for their analogs. There really hasn't been any surprise forecasts beyond what you typically see in a weak/moderate Nina setup, so analogs generally match that. What it really comes down to is if you think the blocking will be in place this winter (-AO/-NAO) and how strong the warmth (and at what times) the warmth will be across the South (which is associated with persistent upper-level ridging). Analogs are then decided via this split in thinking regarding the Southeast ridge.

Some people are using 2nd-year Ninas as a criteria for their analogs. There really hasn't been any surprise forecasts beyond what you typically see in a weak/moderate Nina setup, so analogs generally match that. What it really comes down to is if you think the blocking will be in place this winter (-AO/-NAO) and how strong the warmth (and at what times) the warmth will be across the South (which is associated with persistent upper-level ridging). A nalogs are then decided via this split in thinking regarding the Southeast ridge.

Oh yeah, feel pretty strongly that the NAO/ AO will sort of drive the ship again this winter. Lots of busted ideas for parts of the winter last year (including mine) due to this.

my analogs were 56-57, 62-63, and 08-09.

I am using two of those as well.

Oh yeah, feel pretty strongly that the NAO/ AO will sort of drive the ship again this winter. Lots of busted ideas for parts of the winter last year (including mine) due to this.

Good deal.

I am using two of those as well.

As am I. Specifically 1962-63 and 2008-09, though 2010-11 and 1995-96 are my more heavily-weighted analogs. Sadly, 1995-96 doesn't have a lot of fans :(

Good deal.

As am I. Specifically 1962-63 and 2008-09, though 2010-11 and 1995-96 are my more heavily-weighted analogs. Sadly, 1995-96 doesn't have a lot of fans :(

Is there a reason 1967/68 isn't really popular either? My bro (BS in AS) has been saying big things about 1967/68 due to the apparent stratospheric similarities to this year, I don't understand that aspect as much as you, or him/anyone else in the field, so I'm curious if maybe there is some sort of disconnect between this year and 1967/68? The Sun seems like a close match geomagnetically.

Is there a reason 1967/68 isn't really popular either? My bro (BS in AS) has been saying big things about 1967/68 due to the apparent stratospheric similarities to this year, I don't understand that aspect as much as you, or him/anyone else in the field, so I'm curious if maybe there is some sort of disconnect between this year and 1967/68? The Sun seems like a close match geomagnetically.

1967-68 was a very odd winter regarding the temperature pattern, with a warm eastern half in December, frigid throughout the country in January and very cold in the eastern half in February. The -AO/-NAO blocking pattern is also poorly reflected in the overall temperature pattern, especially when considering the recent blocking of 2009-10 and 2010-11. The lack of correlation (which was basically 0 for December and February) to what my overall thinking was for the winter in addition to the lack of a correlation to the summer 2011 temps are the main reasons why I discarded it.

EDIT: Too add that summer 1967 was basically a flipped pattern of summer 2011 with regards to temperature anomalies.

Archived