joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Seven Pillars Of October

Rainshadow

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion as proven by the last couple of years october means nothing by itswlf, I rthink november should be in there too. October has also generally been warmer as of later perhaps even more than november per average.

No. October 2003, 4, 6, 8, 9 were all below the 139 year median (and below normal by 1981-2010 standards) and October 2000 & 2002 were right around the long term median (and still below normal by the current normal averages).

^odd mix of winters...

2008-9 while not technically a nina is getting more mileage given this weekend system.

BTW FWIW small sample size, etc, so forth, so on, looking at the three other Octobers with measurable snow in PHL, 18-29" subsequent winters and even though in 2008 it didn't snow at PHL, it also fell within that range.

No. October 2003, 4, 6, 8, 9 were all below the 139 year median (and below normal by 1981-2010 standards) and October 2000 & 2002 were right around the long term median (and still below normal by the current normal averages).

2010 was above normal and I believe you have said in the past, that November was also used in your calculations.

Definitely a "middle third" month on temperatures...might even finish the month exactly at average.

I'm getting a majority of "equal chances" aka around normal signals: Oct temps, Nflound waters nao, nh snow, Walt's recurving tropics. Nina maybe if weak, the qbo phase yes for cold and the pdo phase warm. I always wait for November to "help". At yesterday's breakneck speed staff meeting because of the impending snow one of my colleagues commented that pairs of blockbuster winters have occurred in the past on the ascending side of the solar cycle.

Ok, using the "normal" October as the foundation, in weak to mdt nina winters when:

October was normal and November was cold (5) ensuing winter average 30.8F and average snowfall 24.6"

October was normal and November was normal (6) ensuing winter average 34.3F and average snowfall 21.9"

October was normal and November was warm (1 - 1998-9) ensuing winter average 38.3F and average snowfall 12.5"

Ok, using the "normal" October as the foundation, in weak to mdt nina winters when:

October was normal and November was cold (5) ensuing winter average 30.8F and average snowfall 24.6"

October was normal and November was normal (6) ensuing winter average 34.3F and average snowfall 21.9"

October was normal and November was warm (1 - 1998-9) ensuing winter average 38.3F and average snowfall 12.5"

A very strong influence from November, to be sure. Now I'm eager to see how it pans out.

By the looks of the long range, a cold November looks to be off the table. Now we just have to see how much above normal we get before we start jumping off of tall buildings.

By the looks of the long range, a cold November looks to be off the table. Now we just have to see how much above normal we get before we start jumping off of tall buildings.

As Tony has mentioned in the past, November has probably warmed more than any other month so if we can keep it within a couple of degrees we're good.

That winter was also on the strong end of the moderate nina range while this one as a consensus average is outlooked weaker, so unless this November is a top ten torch and the nina strengthens I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

The Oct average Eurasian snowcover came in the middle of the pack, although it has made great strides of late. Gotta look at the Nov hemispheric coverage stats soon.

That winter was also on the strong end of the moderate nina range while this one as a consensus average is outlooked weaker, so unless this November is a top ten torch and the nina strengthens I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

The Oct average Eurasian snowcover came in the middle of the pack, although it has made great strides of late. Gotta look at the Nov hemispheric coverage stats soon.

Both of those look doubtful also. I personally don't mind nice mild November days. Gets you ready for a nice cold. snowy December.:snowman:

The quickly growing snowcover in the west and in the Rockies will really help out in early December as well

The cool nights have kept November near normal so far. An MJO induced colder pattern remains on/close to schedule about two weeks away.

My colleague's regression equation methodology as far as October went logged one on the colder side as he uses the average daytime max and that was -0.4F.

Nina perked up (or is it down) to -1.1C the past week, but NH snow cover remains above normal. Worst case scenario is to have both October & November average below normal with NH snow cover. BUT, every November day has been above normal so far.

Tony, what are the break points for middle third between cold and warm in November?

I don't have them at home, back to work on Wednesday. The current 30 year normal is close to the boundary between normal and warmest third. :yikes: I'm mulling just splitting Nov in half this year to increase the sample size especially if NH snow cover remains above average. Mark has not been hurt by this with his regression equations since November max temps are one of his working parameters.

I was up in Delaware County NY on the NJ school 4 day break this past weekend, I got to experience fresher le snow squalls on Friday and shiver while golfing on Saturday.

I don't have them at home, back to work on Wednesday. The current 30 year normal is close to the boundary between normal and warmest third. :yikes: I'm mulling just splitting Nov in half this year to increase the sample size especially if NH snow cover remains above average. Mark has not been hurt by this with his regression equations since November max temps are one of his working parameters.

I was up in Delaware County NY on the NJ school 4 day break this past weekend, I got to experience fresher le snow squalls on Friday and shiver while golfing on Saturday.

I gather your garden is enjoying this late warmth?

Archived