• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Inland Tropical Systems

Just would appreciate some insight from some on here, but does anybody have any idea on these questions?

What is the furthest inland any Hurricane has made it before being downgraded to a TS?

What is the furthest inland a TS has made it?

What is the furthest inland a depression has kept it's tropical characteristics?

What inland states have experienced a TS or a TD? I know that I remember seeing plots before on various storms with Depression/Storms over Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, PA, NY and even over Lake Erie...I know I have even seen a TD ride up the gulf of California, and make it into southern AZ.

Just curious if anything has ever made it further North and still been tropical...I know that Hazel made it into Canada, but what about the midwest...states like Michigan, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa...has a storm ever kept it's tropical characteristics that far north?

Thanks!

I guess I would say that nothing has been west of an Oklahoma-Iowa line. A few of those storm systems created rain in Iowa and Kansas. Most were Chicago or east of Chicago. How do you define tropical? After a storm gets a few hundred miles inland, it is just up to the debate of weather forecasters as to what is tropical and what is not.

Hurricane low-pressure centers have tracked near the cities where I've lived, in my lifetime:

Ike

Opal

Rita

Katrina

Dennis

Isidore

Ike was tropical into Missouri. After that it gets more debatable...it was no doubt transitioning, but it is open to some interpretation as to exactly when you want to call it. In any case, it produced tropical storm like conditions very far inland...multiple stations in the Midwest had sustained winds of 45-55 mph with gusts of 75-85 mph.

Archived