• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Deluge In Denver

tacoman25

The past week has seen unrelenting monsoonal flow from the northern Mexican mountains into the Front Range of Colorado. Every single day has brought intense afternoon/evening thunderstorms to the greater Denver metro area. Several days have seen flash flooding, from the foothills to urban areas to the plains east of the city. Just NW of Denver itself, I have seen almost 6" of rain in the past week - or more than 1/3 of my average annual rainfall. The airport has been shut down by storms on multiple occasions, including a hail storm yesterday that damaged and grounded several planes.

And it's not over. Today has brought yet another round of severe thunderstorms, with more large hail and flash flooding.

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO

322 PM MDT THU JUL 14 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

EAST CENTRAL JEFFERSON COUNTY IN NORTHEAST COLORADO

WESTERN ARAPAHOE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST COLORADO

SOUTHERN DENVER COUNTY IN NORTHEAST COLORADO

* UNTIL 615 PM MDT

* AT 320 PM MDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED

VERY HEAVY RAIN FROM A THUNDERSTORM NEAR ENGLEWOOD...OR 5 MILES

SOUTH OF DENVER. THIS STORM WAS MOVING NORTH AT 5 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO SHERIDAN...

GREENWOOD VILLAGE...WESTERN CENTENNIAL...LITTLETON...SOUTHEASTERN

LAKEWOOD...ENGLEWOOD...DENVER AND WESTERN AURORA.

DOPPLER RADAR ESTIMATES THAT THIS STORM WILL PRODUCE UP TO 2 INCHES

OF RAIN IN A 30 TO 45 MINUTE PERIOD. AN AUTOMATED RAIN GAUGE IN

LITTLETON HAS ALREADY REPORTED 1 INCH OF RAIN IN 20 MINUTES.

It hasn't been just the Denver area, either. The Colorado Springs airport picked up 2.04" in one hour from a storm yesterday: http://www.wundergro...ilyHistory.html

DEN also picked up .70" in 6 minutes last night...and just had a 68 mph gust from a thunderstorm: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDEN/2011/07/14/DailyHistory.html

It's been pretty quiet in Boulder the past two days, but just to the west in the burn area they've been getting hammered (not to mention east, south, and north of us. ;)) Fortunately the flooding hasn't been as bad as expected but another stubborn storm in that area could cause big problems.

I only had .12" yesterday (some places in south Denver had 1-2"). 5.82" for the month, the wettest month I've seen since I moved here 5 years ago. DEN was just a bit too far east and missed out on the main storm yesterday (as has been the case several days this month), though they did manage .01", meaning 9/10 last days have had measurable precip there . DEN is at 3.20" on the month...average for July is 1.98".

I only had .12" yesterday (some places in south Denver had 1-2"). 5.82" for the month, the wettest month I've seen since I moved here 5 years ago. DEN was just a bit too far east and missed out on the main storm yesterday (as has been the case several days this month), though they did manage .01", meaning 9/10 last days have had measurable precip there . DEN is at 3.20" on the month...average for July is 1.98".

So, what you are saying is that it has been wetter than average? ;)

post-1746-0-09820400-1310743894.jpg

Archived