Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer Wet Season Part II

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woohoo!! Had my first toad of the year yesterday. 4.61. My property is on a slope so the water was flowing pretty good. It looks like a river bottom out there with all the ripples in the sand.:D

In reference to the rain gauge discussion we had a while back. Yesterday my Davis tipping rain gauge reported 3.84 while the manual gauge reported 4.61. Once again in heavy rain the tipping gauge was very inaccurate.

This from the Jax discussion.

The focus for the latter half of the extended will be centered around the track of a possible tropical system. With current model forecasts...have favored elevated probability of precipitation for later periods...in addition to cloudiness. Due to expected increased cloud cover and precipitation have tempered maximum temperatures back into the 80s. The later portion of this forecast period could vary quite a bit...based on any potential track. Therefore favoring high chance probability of precipitation for now.

Pretty impressive that they are mentioning this system a full week before it even gets to the area. Jville usually don't say squat unless things are imminent.

Could be interesting next week.:popcorn:

Woohoo!! Had my first toad of the year yesterday. 4.61. My property is on a slope so the water was flowing pretty good. It looks like a river bottom out there with all the ripples in the sand.:D

In reference to the rain gauge discussion we had a while back. Yesterday my Davis tipping rain gauge reported 3.84 while the manual gauge reported 4.61. Once again in heavy rain the tipping gauge was very inaccurate.

Thanks for the report on the rain gauges again. I am thinking that staying manual is the way to go. BTW, 4.61? Impressive !!!

This from the Jax discussion.

The focus for the latter half of the extended will be centered around the track of a possible tropical system. With current model forecasts...have favored elevated probability of precipitation for later periods...in addition to cloudiness. Due to expected increased cloud cover and precipitation have tempered maximum temperatures back into the 80s. The later portion of this forecast period could vary quite a bit...based on any potential track. Therefore favoring high chance probability of precipitation for now.

Pretty impressive that they are mentioning this system a full week before it even gets to the area. Jville usually don't say squat unless things are imminent.

Could be interesting next week.:popcorn:

It has already been an interesting week tongue.gif

Anyway, just looking at satellite presentation now as compared to 12-18 hours ago shows the general umbrella of 97L has grown in size substantially. Island hopping or not, this will be no Emily.

From the Miami office.

TROPICAL STORM IRENE HAS DEVELOPED JUST EAST OF THE LESSER ANTILLES

THIS EVENING. THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER FORECAST TRACK TAKES IRENE

ON A WEST NORTHWEST PATH...ACROSS HISPANIOLA...THEN INTO THE FLORIDA

STRAITS BY THURSDAY. THIS FORECAST PATH REPRESENTS A RISK TO SOUTH

FLORIDA WITH TIMING RIGHT NOW OF THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. AS

ALWAYS...THERE IS UNCERTAINTY THIS FAR OUT WITH REGARDS TO THE EXACT

FORECAST TRACK AND INTENSITY OF THIS SYSTEM.

NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO PREPARE IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY PREPARED FOR

THIS HURRICANE SEASON. REFER TO READYSOUTHFLORIDA.ORG AND READY.GOV

FOR A COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION WILL NOT BE NEEDED.

FOR MORE INFORMATION...VISIT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN

MIAMI WEBSITE AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/MIAMI.

$$

GREGORIA

Been moving into my new home all day today and saw Irene has formed and could affect us in Central Florida. I know it is never good to be in the bullseye five days out but I also know models have been favoring a Fl hit as opposed to alternate scenarios over recent days.

Can someone give me the lowdown of the days developments and trends? Way to busy to read what I am sure is a multiple page thread now. Quick concise bullet points is all I ask.

I know the intensity is a toss up but what is the thinking regarding track after Hispanola/Cuba? Anyone care to give odds?

Been moving into my new home all day today and saw Irene has formed and could affect us in Central Florida. I know it is never good to be in the bullseye five days out but I also know models have been favoring a Fl hit as opposed to alternate scenarios over recent days.

Can someone give me the lowdown of the days developments and trends? Way to busy to read what I am sure is a multiple page thread now. Quick concise bullet points is all I ask.

I know the intensity is a toss up but what is the thinking regarding track after Hispanola/Cuba? Anyone care to give odds?

All over the place Dave. Windshield Wiper model solutions still in effect. Some kind of FL "hit" seems the consensus but that might change in an hour or two. Sorry .....

Very early but this is looking like Fay from a few years ago. Only difference is Irene may come ashore as a Cat 1. A few of the GFS intensity models ramp her up to Cat 3 before landfall but they are the outliers. Everyone else is around Cat1 strength. Again these are 5 days out so take it for what it's worth.

Also, models are picking up on possible Jose off the Cape Verds later in the week.

Very early but this is looking like Fay from a few years ago. Only difference is Irene may come ashore as a Cat 1. A few of the GFS intensity models ramp her up to Cat 3 before landfall but they are the outliers. Everyone else is around Cat1 strength. Again these are 5 days out so take it for what it's worth.

Also, models are picking up on possible Jose off the Cape Verds later in the week.

The NWS cone remains for the most part unchanged from the initial version as per 8AM this morning.

The NWS cone remains for the most part unchanged from the initial version as per 8AM this morning.

The center has reformed north of the previous model tracks and has yet to turn back to the west. It appears that Irene may interact with less land and have more time over water for strengthening.

The most difficult part of the forecast is predicting the recurve. A minor adjustment in the tracks could mean the difference between a South Florida and a North Carolina storm. I am not comfortable forecasting a landfall location when there is a 1000+ mile spread in the models.

The center has reformed north of the previous model tracks and has yet to turn back to the west. It appears that Irene may interact with less land and have more time over water for strengthening.

The most difficult part of the forecast is predicting the recurve. A minor adjustment in the tracks could mean the difference between a South Florida and a North Carolina storm. I am not comfortable forecasting a landfall location when there is a 1000+ mile spread in the models.

I don't think anybody is.

The next 24-48 hrs will tell. The NHC is pretty f'ing accurate for 3 days.

Right now it looks like Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is in the bullseye at 120 hrs.

I am definitely focused on 100 hours as WE should be here in SFL. All kinds of things can happen with track / cheese grater but I would think that the pretty tight clustering of tracks in the under 100 hour range does imply that SFL will be impacted in some way as opposed to a total miss to the east or west for that matter.

I am definitely focused on 100 hours as WE should be here in SFL. All kinds of things can happen with track / cheese grater but I would think that the pretty tight clustering of tracks in the under 100 hour range does imply that SFL will be impacted in some way as opposed to a total miss to the east or west for that matter.

Now it looks like it might miss us altogether.

I would be very surprised to see it trend back to the west. The next advisory will probably keep it off the coast. It is too bad, it probably would have been a fun little storm for us, whereas the Carolinas will probably have to deal with a larger, stronger hurricane.

I would be very surprised to see it trend back to the west. The next advisory will probably keep it off the coast. It is too bad, it probably would have been a fun little storm for us, whereas the Carolinas will probably have to deal with a larger, stronger hurricane.

Well the east trend has been very consistent since yesterday morning so I guess the crazy swings are over and generally the models have "honed in" on Irene. What I am wondering now is does this march east continue and fish this storm as alluded to by several already.

Archived