• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 27 May Severe Potential

Here are my random thoughts on today's severe potential:

As for severe threat IMO somewhat similar to yesterday's, that is storms and clusters exhibit a SW to NE motion.Training flooding concerns. Wind threat main concern, too especially in any collapsing cells or short lines that may form. Since little W-E flow, development of storms will be tied to local heating, timing of any weak low and ML vorts. WRF and GFS seem to favor CNY and E-CNY west of HV of NYS. HV points east to WNE could see some pulse type or multicell clusters but activity will be localized here due to like yesterday very weak if any forcing. Things start earlier today too non-2pm and end sooner too by 8-10Pm. That's my take for the moment.

• If the low moving across NY were not filling, the EML would come into play more IMO..shear also less than yesterday closer to 30kts not shabby but not as high as yesterday's. looking at ALY's 12z RAOB the Convective temp is very high 31.8 C, like yesterday No CAP persay but it is near O or slightly positive as opposed to yesterday's totally UNCAPPED airmass. Again if we had any forcing of merit yesterday would have been huge.
      Waiting on 12z WRF to fine tune things but I'm not too enthused. Severe yes but not widespread stuff.
    • The ALB raob still has pretty decent shear EHI is 2.2 (0-2KM) modifying it with an 83/65 TT/DP CAPE is around 1995 j/kg. LI -6.8 BRN 14 (14-21 is usually HIGH for Supercells). There is a small jet streak on GFS and UK moves just south of CD..thinking BERK may be a good spot today after all. LCL ariound 1200 meters lower than yesterday.
      • Disregarding WRF its fooked up on the frontal boundary placement across NY going with GF
        • Looking at RUC now Conv temps not as low as actually sounding says...still think nonn to 2pm across HV looks good for storms. FCST HODO's do support potential discrete cells, too

[*]Still not overly impressed with widespread severe potential but then again I wasn't too right yesterday so confidence today isn't exactly high 'cause its bruised

Sooo close yet so far with last nights train just to my west. Nice lightning show though. Knew forecast was way too optimistic for warm front to slip back southward and turn winds NNE at GFL. Need a real good storm to get rid of the dreaded pine pollen that is turning my world yellow :gun_bandana:

Monday?

Monday?

No...... in this mornings AFD they had the front slipping past GFL this morning with the winds NNE for most of the day

.. THEN...ON

FRIDAY...EXPECT MAINLY N/NE WINDS AT KGFL AT 5-10 KT...IN THE WAKE

OF AFOREMENTIONED FRONT. AT KALB...WINDS MAY INITIALLY BE FROM THE

SOUTHWEST OR SOUTH...THEN SHOULD SHIFT INTO THE N TO NE BEHIND THE

FRONT THIS AFTERNOON...AT 8-12 KT. AT KPOU...WINDS SHOULD REMAIN

SOUTH TO SOUTHEAST THROUGH THE DAY AT 5-10 KT. AGAIN...WINDS COULD

BE MUCH STRONGER...AND VARIABLE IN DIRECTION IN AND NEAR ANY TSTMS.

Here are my random thoughts on today's severe potential:

As for severe threat IMO somewhat similar to yesterday's, that is storms and clusters exhibit a SW to NE motion.Training flooding concerns. Wind threat main concern, too especially in any collapsing cells or short lines that may form. Since little W-E flow, development of storms will be tied to local heating, timing of any weak low and ML vorts. WRF and GFS seem to favor CNY and E-CNY west of HV of NYS. HV points east to WNE could see some pulse type or multicell clusters but activity will be localized here due to like yesterday very weak if any forcing. Things start earlier today too non-2pm and end sooner too by 8-10Pm. That's my take for the moment.

Andy, the line that entered Orange last night around 10:05pm collapsed at the state line, I had a 60 mph gust front push past 5 minutes before any precip. Looking forward to some “ left overs” again later. :lol:

Andy, the line that entered Orange last night around 10:05pm collapsed at the state line, I had a 60 mph gust front push past 5 minutes before any precip. Looking forward to some “ left overs” again later. :lol:

Jay, That gust front kicked up a secondary Q-line across the Taconics as it collapsed, The 2nd line was a prolific hail maker!

Archived