• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Atlanta Sees Earliest Last Freeze Since 1945

mikepie

After a very cold and snowy December and January, Atlanta sees its earliest last freeze since 1945. The last freeze at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport was on February 12th! This being said, I believe some of the outlying areas have had at least one if not several light freezes since this date.

Following statement from FFC:

"The last freeze observed at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, the official observation site for Atlanta, occurred on February 12, 2011. This is the earliest last freeze date since 1945, when the last freeze of that winter season was on February 9th. Since temperature records for Atlanta began in 1878, there have only been five other years when the last freeze of the winter season occurred before March 1st, namely February 5, 1880, February 9, 1945, February 26, 1961, February 16, 1985 and February 25, 1989. The average last freeze date for Atlanta is March 20th. Except for this year, all last freeze dates have been in March or late since 2000. The latest last freeze date in Atlanta since records have been kept was April 25, 1910."

After a very cold and snowy December and January, Atlanta sees its earliest last freeze since 1945. The last freeze at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport was on February 12th! This being said, I believe some of the outlying areas have had at least one if not several light freezes since this date.

Following statement from FFC:

"The last freeze observed at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, the official observation site for Atlanta, occurred on February 12, 2011. This is the earliest last freeze date since 1945, when the last freeze of that winter season was on February 9th. Since temperature records for Atlanta began in 1878, there have only been five other years when the last freeze of the winter season occurred before March 1st, namely February 5, 1880, February 9, 1945, February 26, 1961, February 16, 1985 and February 25, 1989. The average last freeze date for Atlanta is March 20th. Except for this year, all last freeze dates have been in March or late since 2000. The latest last freeze date in Atlanta since records have been kept was April 25, 1910."

Atlanta received 1.5" of snow on April 25th, 1910. This is par for the course for Hartsfield. At this point I'm sure that some of the burbs average double the number of frosts per year compared to the airport. For MBY I had a frost just last week and a freeze in mid to late March. My hydrangea shows the evidence of both. I'm putting maters out tomorrow so I hope we don't see anymore.

Beautiful past few days in the Atlanta area...yesterday and today fabulous with cool mornings and warm afternoons. Now back home in SNE where that wx won't be here for another 6-8 weeks with any regularity.....nice week down south.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately for us we will not see this type of weather for another 5-6 months after a few more weeks. Unrelenting heat will show up soon and I'll be wishing to switch locations with you. Or maybe SnoJoe will let me stay at his house while he's at the beach.

Archived