• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1816: the year of no summer

The Laki volcano is an example of a high SO2 content volcano in Iceland.

Also it was high latitude and yet probably had a substantial climate effect of around .2C globally.

It also was only a VEI4 and was mostly confined to the troposphere, and yet managed to have a climate effect due to the extreme amount of SO2 and the duration of the event.

When you say confined to the troposphere, which height for the tropopause are you using? Remember that the tropopause height in high latitudes can be as low as 18000 feet in the winter and generally 30-35k in the Summer around Iceland (or lower at times).

Steve

Volcanic dust veil correlations with temperature must always be taken with some uncertainty because of the reverse order of cause and effect in 1883.

The Krakatoa dust veil may have contributed to below normal temperatures in 1884 to 1888, but since the explosion happened in August 1883, it could not account for the very cold regime already in place. March 1883 was an exceptionally cold month in North America. This casts some doubt on the actual "cause and effect" normally attributed to volcanic eruptions. Perhaps there is a more complex inter-relationship that would suggest that much of the cold anomaly might occur independent of the dust veils.

When you say confined to the troposphere, which height for the tropopause are you using? Remember that the tropopause height in high latitudes can be as low as 18000 feet in the winter and generally 30-35k in the Summer around Iceland (or lower at times).

Steve

I'd think if Katla were to go off, SO2 would easily be ejected well into stratosphere, espeically during winter months. The height of the tropopause, as you said, is less at the poles.

I've been doing some reading on the year of now summer (1816) and it sounds quite fascinating. Could such an event possibly happen again? Obviously I hope not given the havoc it caused to food supplies throughout the world. Apparently Quebec City had over a foot of snow on the ground in early June that year!

http://www.islandnet...istory/1816.htm

I think this is kinda funny because there is a 100% chance it will happen again. Whether it be the year 2015 2020 4598 or the year 859475 (Where humans might not exist)... its gonna happen again. The question should have been, will it happen again in our lifetime?

I think this is kinda funny because there is a 100% chance it will happen again. Whether it be the year 2015 2020 4598 or the year 859475 (Where humans might not exist)... its gonna happen again. The question should have been, will it happen again in our lifetime?

Not if we can't get past 2012 :whistle:

Archived