• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Island infrastructure

ArtRosen

I'm curious to know how Long island's overall infrastructure has improved since Hurricane Gloria. If another hurricane like Gloria hit LI head on today, what would be the overall damage? Would it be less? Are our roads less flood prone? Power polls stronger and can resist rain and wind better? Last March we got hit with a major coastal storm and had a great deal of power outages.

I'm curious to know how Long island's overall infrastructure has improved since Hurricane Gloria. If another hurricane like Gloria hit LI head on today, what would be the overall damage? Would it be less? Are our roads less flood prone? No Power polls stronger and can resist rain and wind better? No Last March we got hit with a major coastal storm and had a great deal of power outages.

I'm curious to know how Long island's overall infrastructure has improved since Hurricane Gloria. If another hurricane like Gloria hit LI head on today, what would be the overall damage? Would it be less? Are our roads less flood prone? Power polls stronger and can resist rain and wind better? Last March we got hit with a major coastal storm and had a great deal of power outages.

I don't think anything has really been improved, only difference that I'm aware of is that they now trim branches away from power lines. They didn't do this yet back then. Not that it would make much difference in a hurricane. The power system is very antiquated and worries me, however it's very costly to upgrade so it is what it is.

Considering that around here our power goes out when a butterfly farts, I would say no.

Unfortunately, it seems that extreme weather events get forgotten after a few years. It's been 25 years since Gloria. That's ancient history to most people and government officials.

Archived