• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tornado Emergency

Having seen two different Tornado Emergencies issued during the past two weeks or so, one for a confirmed EF2 and EF1, it got me wondering if the NWS has started using the enhanced wording for events that dont really rate what the terminology was initially used for. It was my understanding that this was used to relay urgency during events where a confirmed violent tornado is on the ground and moving through a densely populated area. The last two events where these were issued seem to have been issued based off of radar indicated rotation only. Thoughts?

It's pretty difficult to accurately determine a tornado's true EF scale based on a damage survey, let alone in real-time when it's on the ground. I think it's more based on population, but I'm not sure.

Agreed, but I guess the question begs, if its used for any radar indicated tornado, isnt that what a Tornado Warning is for? There certainly is a population component to its use, or at least I thought there was.

There's no set definition of a tornado emergency, ergo it is inconsistently invoked.

This would be incorrect, I can say with 100% certainty that I have not only seen it included in standard definitions for some WFOs, I have read it. One of the ones in the Upper midwest finally included it into their SOP I believe.

This would be incorrect, I can say with 100% certainty that I have not only seen it included in standard definitions for some WFOs, I have read it. One of the ones in the Upper midwest finally included it into their SOP I believe.

Some WFO's. To my knowledge, there is not a national, uniform standard. Which is why we have things like the Moore tornado and the ones this week subjected to the same "tornado emergency" label, despite being obviously different situations.

Some WFO's. To my knowledge, there is not a national, uniform standard.

Agreed, from that press release.

Criteria:

A large and catastrophic tornado has been confirmed and will continue (A radar signature alone is not sufficient)

It is going to have a high impact and/or affect a highly vulnerable population (Historically, this probably has happened once every 10 years in our warning area.)

Numerous fatalities expected.

From the 24th event

WWUS54 KOHX 250418

SVSOHX

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN

1018 PM CST THU FEB 24 2011

TNC149-189-250430-

/O.CON.KOHX.TO.W.0009.000000T0000Z-110225T0430Z/

RUTHERFORD TN-WILSON TN-

1018 PM CST THU FEB 24 2011

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR WILSON AND NORTH CENTRAL

RUTHERFORD COUNTIES UNTIL 1030 PM CST...

...TORNADO EMERGENCY FOR MOUNT JULIET AND LEBANON...

AT 1015 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM

WAS LOCATED NEAR LEBANON...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 75 MPH. THIS STORM

HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING DAMAGE.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

MOUNT JULIET AND LEBANON.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A

STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...A VEHICLE OR

OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT

YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

This is what is contained in the NWS Directives. Pages 8 and 11 on this link, http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/sym/pd01005011curr.pdf

"In exceedingly rare situations, when a severe threat to human life and catastrophic damage from a tornado is imminent or ongoing, the forecaster may use the terminology "TORNADO EMERGENCY FOR [GEOGRAPHIC AREA]" in the third bullet of the warning. Additionally, in such a situation, this terminology should only be used when reliable sources confirm a tornado, or there is clear radar evidence of the existence of a damaging tornado such as the observation of debris."

Archived