joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/25 Wind/severe weather OBS

tombo82685

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike, one heck of a report for ya, lol. Tree down into a garage, which took out power lines, which are down and arching, and also took out propane tanks, which are leaking. Address is 1452 Kings Highway in Woodstown, right near the Gloucester County line.

Yikes! Already?

Thanks for the report.

Mike, whats the best to look at for shear for thunderstorms. The spc has like 5 different shear indices. Is the surface to 6km or the surface to 1 kn the best?

I like to look at the surface to 1KM shear especially for possible low-level rotation. Deeper shear (i.e. 0-3KM and 0-6KM) is also good to look at for possible rotating storms but moreso to get an idea about storm organization. An interesting observation currently is the visible satellite imagery over eastern West Virginia. The convective clouds are actually leaning forward quite a bit with height due to the strong winds. If the shear is so strong, that can act to rip apart the convection or at least limit its vertical growth.

I like to look at the surface to 1KM shear especially for possible low-level rotation. Deeper shear (i.e. 0-3KM and 0-6KM) is also good to look at for possible rotating storms but moreso to get an idea about storm organization. An interesting observation currently is the visible satellite imagery over eastern West Virginia. The convective clouds are actually leaning forward quite a bit with height due to the strong winds. If the shear is so strong, that can act to rip apart the convection or at least limit its vertical growth.

Something i was afraid of. Especially without the sun aiding in vertical growth would have balanced out the shear. GFS timing FTW?

some blue sky starting to pop here in wayne, pa...also, new meso disc for possible t storm watch

mcd0141.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0141 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1036 AM CST FRI FEB 25 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...ERN VA/MD...DE...SERN PA...NJ CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE VALID 251636Z - 251800Z SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MAY BE ISSUED NEAR 17Z. BACK EDGE OF CLOUDS WITHIN THE WARM CONVEYOR ARE SHIFTING RAPIDLY EAST ACROSS THE DELMARVA AND IN IT/S WAKE MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES ARE HEATING THE BOUNDARY LAYER IN THE LEE OF THE APPALACHIANS OVER MD/VA. ALTHOUGH LOW LEVEL FLOW HAS VEERED CONSIDERABLY...AND MAY CONTINUE TO DO SO...IT APPEARS SUFFICIENT LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE IN CONJUNCTION WITH STRONG MID LEVEL FORCING WILL PROVE ADEQUATE FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A NARROW BAND OF BROKEN SHOWERS/THUNDERSTORMS NEAR THE I-95 CORRIDOR WITHIN THE 18-21Z TIME FRAME. GIVEN THE STRONG WIND FIELDS AND STEEPENING LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATES...LATEST THINKING IS DAMAGING DOWNBURSTS MAY ACCOMPANY THIS CONVECTIVE LINE AS IT MATURES OVER THE DELMARVA AND QUICKLY RACES EWD TOWARD THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC COAST. ..DARROW.. 02/25/2011 ATTN...WFO...PHI...AKQ...CTP...LWX... LAT...LON 37777780 40247592 39777393 37197580 37777780

svr thunderstorm watch has just been issued

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 19NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK1220 PM EST FRI FEB 25 2011SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 19 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 400 PM ESTFOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONSPAC045-101-252100-/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0019.110225T1720Z-110225T2100Z/PA. PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED AREDELAWARE PHILADELPHIA$

ww0019_radar.gif

Is that line through Bucks-Mntco-Chesco the main event already?

I'm away from GR3, but wunderground radar is indicating a few 50 dBZ returns over northern Bucks/Mont.

Any obs from out there?

Was wondering the same thing. Sun is shining here in mount laurel.

Archived