• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential Montana Downslope Windstorm (12-13 Feb)

he's a weather weenie.... only weather weenies should be in the nws it means they love the weather and seek out areas to learn more and further their knowledge. NWS members should be all over this site.

Haha--I am a weather weenie no doubt. Most of my mountain weather understanding has come from forecasting the intermountain W--but I still have a lot to learn.

where did you forecast for mountain weather, meridian or another private company?

Mostly beginning at Meridian because we forecasted all portions of the intermountain W so I forced myself to delve through papers/articles, etc on more advanced forecasting. There is also a great mountain forecaster out there who tutored me. I became pretty good after a couple years and I continue to learn and observe daily. I also did a short stint in UT forecasting for UDOT. That was also great experience.

I think weather weenie has a negative connotation on this board. Wx nerd is the proper nomenclature if you ask me. But, yes I do agree if you are truly a weather enthusiest you shouldn't limit yourself to one region. Too many on here only care about the northeast. It's good to see a little discussion in the western regions. Much along the same lines, and I recently discussed this with baroclinic, some mets aren't even willing to move to another area to gain employment within the field. Puzzling for sure.

Back on topic.....

I see Dickinson is reporting gusts in the low 50's

KDIK 131956Z AUTO 29035G52KT 10SM 04/M03

So far here at KGFK haven't seen anything much over 30kts yet

I think weather weenie has a negative connotation on this board. Wx nerd is the proper nomenclature if you ask me. But, yes I do agree if you are truly a weather enthusiest you shouldn't limit yourself to one region. Too many on here only care about the northeast. It's good to see a little discussion in the western regions. Much along the same lines, and I recently discussed this with baroclinic, some mets aren't even willing to move to another area to gain employment within the field. Puzzling for sure.

Back on topic.....

I see Dickinson is reporting gusts in the low 50's

KDIK 131956Z AUTO 29035G52KT 10SM 04/M03

So far here at KGFK haven't seen anything much over 30kts yet

Whoa--who is this guy? Good to see you posting.

Agreed--as mets we should really try and expand into all aspects of weather--limiting yourself to one region or type of weather pattern doesn't do you any good. Plus weather is cool.

Archived