• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
LOOKING AHEAD BEYOND THE WARMUP - WILL WINTER GO OUT WITH A BANG?

IsentropicLift

Looking at the far extended period (days 10-16) several interesting features will be moving through the nation. Discuss here what will likely happen during this time range and why?

Taking the 6z GFS at face value, it looks like a lakes cutter, followed by more brief ridging and then a very interesting lakes cutter/miller B setup around day 16.

Anything is possible and I'm sure we'll squeeze one more decent accumulating snow event, but after this week's potential storms came and went with nothing more than a few snow squalls I'm not really going to hold out much hope for a threat 7 to 10 days out let alone 16

Looking at the far extended period (days 10-16) several interesting features will be moving through the nation. Discuss here what will likely happen during this time range and why?

Taking the 6z GFS at face value, it looks like a lakes cutter, followed by more brief riding and then a very interesting lakes cutter/miller B setup around day 16.

Anything is possible and I'm sure we'll squeeze one more decent accumulating snow event, but after this week's potential storms came and went with nothing more than a few snow squalls I'm not really going to hold out much hope for a threat 7 to 10 days out let alone 16

This goes both ways though. Why should I believe that nothing will come to fruition 7-10 days from now?

It definitely could, the pattern could change or we can still find a way to get a storm in an unfavorable pattern. I just don't hold out much hope looking at the long range models. It'll have to be more of a surprise event where 3 to 5 days out all of a sudden a threat appears and materializes. I recall March of 09 being that way. 2 days out all the models jumped on board.

This goes both ways though. Why should I believe that nothing will come to fruition 7-10 days from now?

It definitely could, the pattern could change or we can still find a way to get a storm in an unfavorable pattern. I just don't hold out much hope looking at the long range models. It'll have to be more of a surprise event where 3 to 5 days out all of a sudden a threat appears and materializes. I recall March of 09 being that way. 2 days out all the models jumped on board.

No doubt. I guess my take on it is buying into the model solutions at that range whether it be large or small scale features is basically a crapshoot and anything is possible.

Yes, definitely looks good to me. Back to winter next weekend after 60 degrees on Friday next week.

hummm....as I looked briefly at the VERY extended Euro just now it looks like it is trying to develop an east based -NAO with a -PNA/RNA pattern out west....it would appear to be a good overrunning type pattern..thoughts?

Archived