• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday storm

dsaur

I swear if I get some extra money I'm buying a small house up there. Real estate is pretty cheap right now but I'm sure with all that cold and snow there is a lot of upkeep.

that thought crossed my mind too lol - just a couple of rooms and fireplace (and deck for snow obs, of course) and i'd be set. of course it would be in a great flow event location

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that thought crossed my mind too lol - just a couple of rooms and fireplace (and deck for snow obs, of course) and i'd be set. of course it would be in a great flow event location

I was looking up on Beech and they have a few fixer uppers in descent shape (oxymoron I know) for around 80 - 90K. For a vacation house that aint bad at all!

I was looking up on Beech and they have a few fixer uppers in descent shape (oxymoron I know) for around 80 - 90K. For a vacation house that aint bad at all!

Hmmmmm...... would that be a cottage just to go to in order to chase snow? We have a house on Leesville Lake in Virginia and the problem is (at least for me) it's a 3 hour drive to get to a very large house in which there is nothing to do unless you are actively out on the lake. Why not just rent a place for 3 or 4 days at a time instead?

Hmmmmm...... would that be a cottage just to go to in order to chase snow? We have a house on Leesville Lake in Virginia and the problem is (at least for me) it's a 3 hour drive to get to a very large house in which there is nothing to do unless you are actively out on the lake. Why not just rent a place for 3 or 4 days at a time instead?

It depends on the location and the elevation. Since there are a lot of NW Flow events for the Smokies (with the dozen clippers that come down every winter) the best odds are on northern facing slopes above 3000 ft. Down near Gatlinburg, there isn't much available at that elevation. There is more available at 2500 ft though - but most of the places built are A frames, are dated, and need work.

The best chance for snow in NC is near Boone and Grandfather Mountain, or in TN near Mountain City. Bristol and Kingsport do much better than Knoxville, but are nothing compared to Mountain City. Around Boone, you can probably find plenty of places to live above 3500 ft since the entire town is around 3000 ft. The roads in Boone are terrible though, and traffic seems to always be snarled when I'm around there. But, you have plenty of things to do around there if you can deal with the traffic.

Archived