• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Research concerning NAO flips

Use Google Scholar with Heather Archambault and Lance Bosart.

Thanks for this. The Archambault/Bosart article I found there is very NE-centric, however. I am interested in east of the Rockies in general. It's clear that a -NAO to +NAO is typically not that favorable for the NE, but I know this isn't the case for other areas.

Or, its often the other way around. A big storm can often flip the NAO. If its a progressive but strong east coast storm that charges into the north Atlantic it can take an NAO from neutral or weakly negative to positive as it occludes out near Greenland / Iceland. But If the low stalls out just off the east coast, the warm advection out east of it will help to build a ridge in the north Atlantic. This can set things up for the next storm to try to undercut that ridge - causing hight falls over the central Atlantic south of the ridge. the height rises in the north Atlantic coupled with height falls farther south drive the NAO into negative mode.

I know that a flip from -NAO to +NAO is often cited around here as a good time for a storm (and certainly seems supported!). Are there any specific pieces of research that have studied or addressed this phenomenon?

Archived