Jump to content

Buckeyes_Suck

Members
  • Posts

    2,693
  • Joined

Everything posted by Buckeyes_Suck

  1. I’d challenge you on that. We’ve done more testing per capita than any large country other than the UK which is only slightly higher. I agree that it would work in concept, I just don’t think the manufacturing capability was there back in February to have made a difference.
  2. I wouldn’t call shrinking gdps and double digit unemployment numbers just fine. And you’re only looking at countries that can afford to print more money.
  3. You can’t use a country half the population of NYC and on an island as a case example...that’s silly.
  4. If a vaccine isn’t possible at all, what would your position be? Just curious.
  5. Just delaying the inevitable. At this rate 10 years of lockdowns... if that actually plays out you’re looking at your looking at several economic collapses and ww3.
  6. Ya I think that’s why voter enthusiasm is so important. I think that’s why Trump won in 16 and would be the reason if he won this year. Trump being so polarizing might have helped democratic enthusiasm though.
  7. So I was wrong, as of now it’s 0.8% and not not 0.26% as written about by USA Today in July. What I don’t get is why such the wide swing in the cdc estimate in just 3 months, I hope that’s not political pressure... This still doesn’t change my stance that a viable vaccine won’t be widely available before we’ve attained “herd immunity”. We haven’t successfully made a coronavirus vaccine in almost 70 years of trying.
  8. The math is way beyond that simple calc. See @OSUmetstud chart. The mortality rate is currently about 0.6%, once he fixes the misplaced 0...
  9. Respirator as in intubation. I didn’t think I had to spell that out. I’m not anti mask, if that’s what you’re insinuating.
  10. You need to fix your chart. You’re missing a 0 on the 20-49 age group. .0002, not .002. Do that and fix the extrapolated 80+ Number you added and we’re at a best guess of .6% mortality...and that’s including all the deaths that occurred before they figured out that respirators did more damage than good.
  11. Done again correctly, with the 70+ age group at 0.054 won’t be .26%, but certainly not .9%.
  12. That’s bad math. You have to use the 0.054 for the entire 70+ population. Or lower the 70-79 if you’re going to infer the 0.09 number.
  13. I’ll do the math Monday on the actual percentage, but why not use the .26% quoted by USA Today? That’s 400k people, we’re more than halfway there.
  14. Are you really arguing that you can get to .8% after looking at those numbers? No way in hell, unless the 70+ Crowd makes up half our population.
  15. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html Fatality ratio, first table. there’s also an article on USA today that you can find using DuckDuckGo
  16. He’s not wrong. There’s a reason that a vaccine for the common cold doesn’t exist. It certainly hasn’t been for a lack of effort. The common cold is also caused by coronavirus. Even if a vaccine is created look at the Flu vaccine. Shortages every year. A good year is 60% effective. The last vaccine rushed to market during a pandemic caused brain damage. So do we live with the latest CDC estimate of 0.26%(same as a bad flu season) mortality rate and live our lives or do we stay in this circus that has gone from flattening the curve to complete and utter bullshit?
  17. I don’t understand why they don’t come to the realization that it is the best of course of action at this point. They missed the window for containment and there are no guarantees of a viable vaccine.
  18. Well WHO says stop the lockdowns. I doubt Cuomo will heed their advice...
  19. I think scale is your first obstacle. Costa Rica is a country of 5M, with per capita energy usage of 1900 kWh per year... the US is 330M with a per capita energy usage of 12000 kWh per year. we use 400 more times energy total and 6 times more energy on a per capita basis. my off the wall opinion on why you don’t see trillions of dollars spent on this is because there’s confidence among the highest ranks that fusion will be commercially viable in the next 50 years.
  20. Yep, if Trump wins I’m sure that’ll be the case. Currently I’m vacationing on the coast of Maine and it’s crazy the number and size of signs I see for both sides. People have 4x8 billboards in the front yards. I guess that’s what happens when your vote matters.
  21. The 2/3 number makes sense. Coronavirus has been extremely politicized, with Democrats embracing the idea of Mail in voting to help stop the spread of coronavirus. Meanwhile staunch republicans will vote in person in fear of the postal service ghosting their ballots.
  22. Completely agree. I wondered after the paycuts if botcherill was purposely pushed out. It would have been a clever way of doing it without backtracking on their stance in support of botcherill.
  23. This place is epic, especially if you hike the trails opposite the side with all the people.
×
×
  • Create New...