Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pretty neat to see

weatherwiz

• 2 weeks later...

Believe me I saw it like at 515AM during my long wx hit!

That's pretty awesome! I was watching radar at the time but I didn't even notice it at all, in fact I didn't even hear about the tornado until that evening and then the next day my friend sent me those images...I was actually talking to him online at around 5:15 AM and he told me there was HUGE rotation in that area...I looked and read the warning and it didn't mention rotation or anything so I thought he was just on drugs lol.

Wow that's really awesome. It's really cool when you can see these features on the reflectivity. I remember during the September event which brought the tornado to NYC there was a clear spin/vorticity in the reflectivity as well.

I was actually shocked to actually see how clear it was...I was kind of shocked there was no TOR out for it...it may have just gone overlooked?

Wx4cast is working on the theory and I think he is right; that the tornado was most likely caused by the downburst. If you noticed, there as a little spin before the Microburst. but, soon afterwards the TVS showed up. There could have been a little bit of RFD in that cell as well. The RFD and downburst together increased the rotation through the vertical SDF. Which was just enough to cause the tornado to spin down.

Wx4cast is working on the theory and I think he is right; that the tornado was most likely caused by the downburst. If you noticed, there as a little spin before the Microburst. but, soon afterwards the TVS showed up. There could have been a little bit of RFD in that cell as well. The RFD and downburst together increased the rotation through the vertical SDF. Which was just enough to cause the tornado to spin down.

I'm also looking at the soundings from Albany and forecast BUFKIT ones for POU and ALB as well. Elevation rapidly increase in that part of Columbia County along the Taconics range so by virtue of the fact that the elevation of the mountains increase the relative height of the LCL lowers. We've seen this in the past mainly during summertimem convection that pass east of the HV to the "highlands" to its east; often times downbursts occur and an occasional brief spinup. Not sure if this came into play with this cool season setup but it will be worth looking at IMO.

I'm also looking at the soundings from Albany and forecast BUFKIT ones for POU and ALB as well. Elevation rapidly increase in that part of Columbia County along the Taconics range so by virtue of the fact that the elevation of the mountains increase the relative height of the LCL lowers. We've seen this in the past mainly during summertimem convection that pass east of the HV to the "highlands" to its east; often times downbursts occur and an occasional brief spinup. Not sure if this came into play with this cool season setup but it will be worth looking at IMO.

Looking back at past events. looking at LCL heights and tornado potential in the HV is a very good idea. It always seem that both the potential and intensity of tornadoes decrease as the height of the LCL increases.

Archived