• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Veteren's preference with the government

I spoke to someone today about the veteren's preference questions about the NWS that came up in the other thread. It's not suprising there was confusion as what they told me was a bit complicated. Here's the bottom line: If 3 veterens make it into the gold group (score of 90+) they block anyone else from getting referred. If it's 2 or less they don't block the rest from getting referred. Here's the important part, even though this thing about blocking is new this actually doesn't seem to have any practical implications that are different than before from the way I understood it. Before recently, you would still get referred with 3 or more vets in the group but would still not stand a chance of getting the job since they would still hire just the vets. In effect, they were still blocking you but it wasn't as apparent since you'd still be referred and think you had a chance of getting the job even though you really didn't. In other words, it hasn't gotten harder recently it has just become more apparent how hard it has always been - at least in the last couple years that is.

I spoke to someone today about the veteren's preference questions about the NWS that came up in the other thread. It's not suprising there was confusion as what they told me was a bit complicated. Here's the bottom line: If 3 veterens make it into the gold group (score of 90+) they block anyone else from getting referred. If it's 2 or less they don't block the rest from getting referred. Here's the important part, even though this thing about blocking is new this actually doesn't seem to have any practical implications that are different than before from the way I understood it. Before recently, you would still get referred with 3 or more vets in the group but would still not stand a chance of getting the job since they would still hire just the vets. In effect, they were still blocking you but it wasn't as apparent since you'd still be referred and think you had a chance of getting the job even though you really didn't. In other words, it hasn't gotten harder recently it has just become more apparent how hard it has always been - at least in the last couple years that is.

It is partially inline with what I have been told as well, but I believe you are blocked regardless of the number of vets, but they may still refer you to the hiring official if there is less than 3-4, for instance. In other words, before they referred every single qualified 90+ gold applicant which meant 50-60 usually per intern opening, now they only refer if you are gold 90+ but with fewer than some arbitrary number of veterans. I was told by central region they can choose the cutoff for "too many vets". Central said they use approximately 5-7. In other words, if a vet is qualified and on panel, you will be blocked regardless if you are a non-vet, it doesn't matter how many veterans applied.

Exactly. As I understand it the blocking does, and always has occurred regardless of the number of vets. What's changed is that unlike in the past, now they won't even refer you to the hiring official unless there is less than x numer of vets. But the point is even in the past when they would still refer you it wouldn't matter since you were still blocked from getting the job anyway. It just wasn't as apparant to the applicant what was going on.

It is partially inline with what I have been told as well, but I believe you are blocked regardless of the number of vets, but they may still refer you to the hiring official if there is less than 3-4, for instance. In other words, before they referred every single qualified 90+ gold applicant which meant 50-60 usually per intern opening, now they only refer if you are gold 90+ but with fewer than some arbitrary number of veterans. I was told by central region they can choose the cutoff for "too many vets". Central said they use approximately 5-7. In other words, if a vet is qualified and on panel, you will be blocked regardless if you are a non-vet, it doesn't matter how many veterans applied.

You could put it that way. But personally, I'd rather know where I stand...If I'm not gonna get the job anyway I don't want to see "reffered to hiring official" and getting false hope.

So basically they went from screwing you behind your back to screwing you right in your face....to quote Jerry Seinfeld's transition of someone going from working as an auto mechanic to a car salesman.

Archived