• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
28 years ago...

The Alchemist

I was just finishing up bringing more wood into the house and checking the fire in the wood stove, not believing that we would really get much more than 2-3 inches... wow was I wrong...

Added - It’s amazing how the ingredients came together just right... I remember walking into town, it was a moderate snow with no wind... then in town I could hear the thunder... I got back home just as the wind picked up and an hour later we lost power... mom was making sauce and we had to finish it on the wood stove... woke up Sunday morning and it was 5 degrees... power came back on about midday... then we drove down to tryon... I remember following power trucks cutting their way into Tryon on 176... parked at five points in Gillette woods and walked to Jeanne Parker’s house... brought her up to Saluda... she didn’t get power back until the following Friday... all I can say is I will never wish for snow on my birthday ever again...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Man, I loved that snowstorm/blizzard. Everything came together for what is probably going to be once in a lifetime storm. I was 10 years old at the time living in sw Rutherford county a few miles west of Forest Cityty.  Still dreaming for another one like that. I remember when the rain turned to snow that Friday night at 9.30. By 2am there was 6 inches on the ground. I got out on my bike and road in the tire tracks down our road at 10.30 that morning and the snow had turned to sleet but you could feel it getting colder by the second, and when I was riding back the wind was starting to pick up. By 1pm-5 it was a full blown blizzard 60 mph winds. My Dad and I went out to get the dog in the house at the peak of the storm and all we did was barely find our way back to the house it was such a whiteout. You couldn't even find your way around in your own yard. Couldn't see 5ft in front of you in the peak of it. Ended up with 16.5 inches of snow but the drifts were solid 2-4ft around the yard. Lost power around 1:30 Sat afternoon, was out till the following Monday. Cooked off the kerosene heater for 9 days. No school for 2 weeks. What a storm. If this kind of storm happened in this lifetime, I couldn't imagine. There would be a panic thread, the whining thread would be off the charts and I would be saying I want another foot of snow. Wish I was in Denver this weekend. 

• Like 2

I recall that winter there were several blown calls on snow storms that didn't materialize; people were joking that it was a plot by Ingle's.  Back in those days no internet at home and I really wasn't buying into the Super Storm hype which much to my surprise wasn't hype at all.  I recall a little snow that Friday afternoon (March 12th) then it quit for awhile then a lovely gentle snowfall Friday night (28 years ago on the exact same days of the week).  Woke up to the wind and massive amount of snow on Saturday.  Lost power and decided to walk to a friends house that had a wood-stove.  He met me half way with a thermos containing hot chocolate and rum.   I wore a motorcycle helmet for that walk straight up Merrimon Ave in Asheville; a guy walked up to me and said, "you have the right head gear for this storm!"  IIRC, I measured 21 inches of snow (may have been 23 inches); and I believe they had measured a 78 mph wind gust at the National Climatic Data Center in downtown Asheville.  I have some recollection of a little bit of lightning and thunder as well if I am not getting my storms confused.  What a great adventure it was 28 years ago today:mapsnow: 

• Thanks 1