• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GIS Degree and Meteorology

intentionallove

I'm considering returning to school for a GIS degree.  I grew up loving meteorology and loving maps (of course!)  I changed my mind at the last minute after being accepted to school for meteorology, mainly due to a boyfriend and not wanting to leave town....ah 18 year olds!  In any case, I don't feel like my brain does math the same at age 40 and don't think heading into meteorology would be wise.  I've been pondering GIS and wondering if that degree ever overlaps or has relevance in meteorology at all.  Thanks!

So I have a degree in geography and environmental systems with a minor in GIS. The program I followed had some classes on meteorology, but the main focus of the GIS specific classes were on map design concepts using Adobe Illustrator and technical layout, data manipulation, projections, and creation using ArcGIS. I’d say there is some overlap, but in my case not a ton - but it also probably depends on the specific program the school offers.

• Like 1

The course curriculum will not involve a ton of meteorology, but you can project meteorological data with GIS if you like. The NWS maintains a comprehensive dataset of GIS shape files that you can use to map warnings, storm reports, best tracks, etc. I have used the data in some of my class projects, which usually give you creative control. It's quite fun to manipulate if you ask me. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maxwell03 said:

The course curriculum will not involve a ton of meteorology, but you can project meteorological data with GIS if you like. The NWS maintains a comprehensive dataset of GIS shape files that you can use to map warnings, storm reports, best tracks, etc. I have used the data in some of my class projects, which usually give you creative control. It's quite fun to manipulate if you ask me. 

That's along what I was thinking, but are there GIS jobs to help do data mapping for Meteorology?

• 5 weeks later...

The nice thing about GIS is that it is a cross-disciplinary skill set.  If it didn't work out in the meteorology, there are still numerous other fields that are making use of GIS technology.  Most BA programs allow you to tailor classes for a concentration or minor if you want to incorporate that as well.  Just pick a school with a good program for both fields.

• 1 month later...