• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
stormchasing and the coronavirus

ok folks, first off, sorry it's been way too long since I've been on this board. my mind just went elsewhere for a while. :(

I know this has probably not been discussed a lot over at the political board. But now I am looking at the calendar and storm-chasing season is nearly here. and i know there are more than a few chasers here. And we also see a lot of problems with the Coronavirus spreading all across the country, even in the plains and dixie alley. And hopefully we don't get bad enough where possible quarrantines may just about close off certain NWS offices due to personnel forced at home (maybe including SPC), or maybe that certain towns/cities, counties, or maybe even states could become restricted to non-residents.

gas prices are probably the only thing that's not going to be a potential issue.

but could this coronavirus end up making storm chasing more difficult than normal this year? could it almost eliminate it in the worst case? and how could all this affect potential weather watches and warnings this year?

debate is open. I just hope i'm not overthinking all of this.

Judging by my Twitter feed on Friday, storm chasers are out as usual. They are being careful at gas stations and rest stops. Bringing their own paper towels, wipes and hand sanitizer. 

Air fare will be cheap to the Plains. Airlines are offering no change fees! Do you know what that means? You don't have to know the exact days when you book. Gasoline is cheap too.

Seriously though, I'm not even thinking about travel until we see how this plays out for a few more weeks. Dixie local? No thanks as in any year.

Critical Federal Agencies have plans, but I will defer to an NWS Met for more on that. NWS and TV Mets are very dedicated to saving lives in any circumstance.