• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Short Range Ensembles Ended

Chinook

Two different short-range ensemble systems ended recently (before SEVERE WEATHER SEASON). On the other hand, the HREF system began recently. What is happening? Why hasn't the NWS implemented a consistent hi-res short range ensemble system for the past couple of years? Apparently, everything is just experimental, and could end at any time. Cliff Mass blogged about this 1 year ago! Maybe he really had a point when he wrote that article (see below).

x6qVuD9.jpg

RV1DXae.jpg

KJ0Jbqx.jpg

Maybe this is stupid, but I've often wondered why we don't just have NOAA fund improvements in the ECMWF if it is so much better than the GFS, and just gut the GFS money to pay for it? I'm sure the Europeans would let NOAA modify it for scale or physics deficiencies or to build other tools (like maybe a hi-res local model, say a better 3km NAM?) if they helped to fund it? Supposedly its not a military threat, the US military is has its own weather models that are proprietary and more accurate than what NOAA has for war information. I think IBM and Panasonic have their own models too, and could probably develop a hi-res local product. Panasonic's skill scores are nearly as good as the main global models from what I've read.

Archived