• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
What good sized city in the Midwest has this?

Jeff6742

Good job Geos. I'll bet you did have fun making that map.

It points out an issue that I've had all of my life and that's my regional classification. Especially when I lived in the Hartford City/Muncie/Marion area, it was considered both OV and GL. Your map puts me solidly in the GL region, although it's interesting that your map draws the Central Plains all the way to East Central IN. I guess that it does make sense geographically.

Someone who lives in Richmond IN however, could be considered Midwest/Great Lakes/Central Plains/Ohio Valley. lol

Good job Geos. I'll bet you did have fun making that map.

It points out an issue that I've had all of my life and that's my regional classification. Especially when I lived in the Hartford City/Muncie/Marion area, it was considered both OV and GL. Your map puts me solidly in the GL region, although it's interesting that your map draws the Central Plains all the way to East Central IN. I guess that it does make sense geographically.

Someone who lives in Richmond IN however, could be considered Midwest/Great Lakes/Central Plains/Ohio Valley. lol

Haha, funny.

I always though that the Corn belt was part of the Central Plains. Northern MO, most of Iowa, most of IL and Indiana is pretty flat. If you Google "central plains region" and select images, you will get all kind of maps showing where it is exactly!

OP has only one post on the board and hasn't come back to this thread with a reply.

Just navel gazing, but yes STL is way bigger than LVille. STL has a couple things dampening the official population number - the weird situation that is STL city vs STL county (the city is its own entity and not a member of a county and the county holds parts of what would be considered the city anywhere else), and STL really being the classic poster child for urban flight and urban sprawl. You can drive any direction for a solid 30 miles and be in the STL metro, but with population being attributed to the various suburbs (St Charles, St Peters, Wentzville, Warrenton, Troy, Arnold, Festus, Fenton, Ladue, Jennings, Ferguson, etc etc etc) whereas LVille is nothing like that.

Sent from my iPhone

At least he created an interesting conversation. :P

This has turned into quite the topic. I can tell most; if not all of us, are bored about now!

Since I like maps, I had to make one too. Had some fun making it.

It's interesting how people geographically define a region of our country. To break my map down, I put a red border around the six main region of the country. With those regions I followed state lines, but for more specific areas I didn't as you can tell. Got some areas that overlap like the along the Gulf Coast and the Central Plains and Central Mississippi Valley.

Given my background I look at natural features that define an area.

attachicon.gif regions.png

While we're at it... and this question is to anyone, not just Geos... but how does one define the sub-regions of the OV, such as the lower Ohio Valley, upper Ohio Valley, middle Ohio Valley?

I get mixed signals from all kinds of Meteorologists. SPC and WPC have made discussions (MCD and MPD respectfully) where they label Cincinnati and west as the lower OV. Then I've seen others label it as Louisville and west of there.

One example is the June 2, 1990 tornado outbreak; it's known as the Lower Ohio Valley tornado outbreak. Here's the outbreak.

xkEpuc5.png

Another is the March 2, 2012 outbreak... many of the outlooks and MCDs referenced the lower OV, with the area of interest including Cincinnati at times. 

mcd0211.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0211

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1205 PM CST FRI MAR 02 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...SRN IL...SRN IND...WRN AND CNTRL KY

CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH 57...

VALID 021805Z - 021930Z

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR TORNADO WATCH 57 CONTINUES.

LONG LIVED SUPERCELLS WILL BEGIN OVERSPREADING A LARGE PORTION OF

THE LOWER OHIO VALLEY BETWEEN NOW AND 20-21Z...ACCOMPANIED BY THE

POTENTIAL FOR STRONG/DESTRUCTIVE TORNADOES AND VERY LARGE HAIL.

ADDITIONAL WWS ARE IN THE PROCESS OF BEING ISSUED AND WILL LIKELY BE

NEEDED WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO.

DISCRETE SUPERCELLS HAVE FORMED ACROSS SOUTHERN ILLINOIS INTO

SOUTHEAST MISSOURI...GENERALLY NEAR A DEVELOPING DRY LINE AND JUST

AHEAD OF THE SURFACE COLD FRONT...WHICH WILL CONTINUE OVERTAKING THE

DRY LINE ACROSS THE LOWER OHIO VALLEY DURING THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

ADDITIONAL CELLS STILL APPEAR LIKELY TO FORM AHEAD OF THE EASTWARD

ADVANCING FRONT...INITIATING ALONG THE PRE-FRONTAL DRY LINE

STRUCTURE ACROSS PARTS OF WESTERN AND CENTRAL KENTUCKY INTO WESTERN

AND MIDDLE TENNESSEE THROUGH 20-21Z. IN THE PRESENCE OF STRONG

SHEAR...WITH LARGE CLOCKWISE CURVED LOW-LEVEL HODOGRAPHS...AND

MODERATELY LARGE CAPE...CONDITIONS APPEAR VERY FAVORABLE FOR

SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING TORNADOES...SOME PARTICULARLY STRONG

AND POTENTIALLY VERY DESTRUCTIVE. GIVEN THE STRENGTH OF THE

WESTERLY DEEP LAYER MEAN FLOW /50-60+ KT/...AND THE CONTINUING

EASTWARD ADVECTION OF THE UNSTABLE WARM SECTOR THROUGH THE LOWER

OHIO VALLEY...STORMS WILL BE FAST MOVING AND LONG-LIVED.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/event.php?date=20120302

Thoughts?

@ Cliche. I would consider Cincinnati about at the borderline between upper and lower Ohio River Valley. Ohio River goes from Pittsburgh to Cairo, IL and Cincinnati is about smack dab in the middle. Personally I would consider it the beginning of the upper part and Louisville I would definitely consider the lower and not near the upper portion at all.

Hi. I am new to this website, Americanwx, and I am new to forums. So please go easy on me. I usually get yelled at by a lot of people because I didn't do something correct. I bet you people here are nice, from what I've heard.

Anyways, on to the question I have been wanting to ask a professional for months.

Question: What good sized city in the Midwest has EXTREMELY muggy summers that are EXTREMELY muggy day and night, everyday of the summer? If not everyday, than mostly everyday?

And also, has A TON AND A LOT of severe thunderstorms during the summer?

Answer my question as best as you can. Thank you so much :-)

Kansas City and Tulsa don't come close to rivaling the humidity of the Mississippi Valley cities most of the time.  St. Louis, Paducah, and Memphis are the three cities you're looking for, but it's easy to argue that the latter two are in the South and not the Midwest.

Archived