• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
FSU Professor Links Tornado Strength, Frequency to Climate Change

bobbutts

Don, that fits with what ORH was speculating earlier. 

"I'm not sure...but its unfortunate that this one is behind a paywall...the press release quotation says "although tornadoes are forming fewer days per year, they are forming at a greater density and strength than ever before"....I find that last bit in the quote an interesting claim given that stronger tornadoes (>=EF2) have actually shown a slight decrease in the dataset. But since I can't read the paper, I have no idea whether the quote is just offtopic drivel (this happens sometimes in press release quotes) or if they actually argue this in the paper with some other tornado dataset that perhaps I am unaware of."

The language "than ever before" appears to be confined to the press release. The paper stated:

Over the last 60 years (1954-2013), as well as more recent periods of shorter duration, we find a consistent decrease in the number of days with at least one tornado but at the same time we find an increase in the number of days with many tornadoes. This results in an increasing proportion of tornadoes occurring on big tornado days. Coincident with these changes we find the spatial and temporal concentration of tornadoes has increased. It appears that the risk of big tornado days featuring clusters of densely packed tornadoes is on the rise.

FWIW, the dataset used in the paper can be downloaded from: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/gis/svrgis/zipped/tornado.zip

Finally, it seems that the access to the paper was temporary.

Archived