• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Greenland melt season discussion thread

The_Global_Warmer

I had to back and look at your post #172.  Are you seriously saying that you feel your games with MS Paint trump the DMI report when it comes to determining the GIS net mass balance for 2014?  Seriously?!

Okay, I'll play with MS Calculator a bits and see what numbers come up.  From the DMI 2014 report: the GIS contributed 1.2 mm to global sea level rise last year, and 100 Gtons of ice amount to 0.28 mm of sea level rise.  So typing 1.2 / 0.28 * 100 in Calculator and hitting = gives me 428.57 Gtons of ice lost last year, but given the uncertainty of the numbers it's probably better say the the GIS lost around 400 Gtons of ice last.  400 Gtons of ice being equivalent to 400 km3 of ice, of course.  Since the record year 2012 caused 1.3 mm of sea level rise and has been reported as 450 Gtons of ice, I think the value of 400 km3 is reasonable.

You seem to forget that the DMI sea level contributor is a model and can have flaws.  Remember this which i mentioned earlier to you is from DMI ''The low albedo level was most wide spread in the month of August and especially high up on the ice sheet where the levels were record low. This unusually low albedo high up on the ice results in increased melting, but does not necessarily contribute to sea-level rise because the melt water can refreeze in the snow instead of running off. This means that the calculated contribution to the sea-level rise based on the reflection of sunlight can be slightly over estimated in 2014.''  There is no ''Games'' that i'm playing in MS paint unlike some i care about my credibility, a 12 year old could have done what i did.  Maybe this will help you better understand.

post-1243-0-80150000-1425659938_thumb.pn

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived