• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
ICE SKATING

saltysenior

I used to drive over Springton reservoir between Media and Newtown Square in Delco all the time until moving to this area a couple of years ago, and so I always had a pretty good read on the frozen state of ponds, etc., as a result. Not so much now. One thing I'd be curious about is how much ice was there before the snow this past week? Ideally a good layer of ice before the snow so you could shovel it off, or no ice and then freeze up in the cold since then. The in between could be dicey. I did read that snow on top will slow down the rate of ice growth, with the snow (and air within) being a decent insulator, as we've discussed in other threads recently.

I remember growing up in the late 70's/early 80's, it wasn't unusual for us to play ice hockey on Darby creek. I don't think there's been much opportunity to do that since the mid 80's.

I have a creek in my yard, it was icing up nicely before last week's "thaw". I'll take a walk out there later today to see how quickly it's freezing over again.

Archived