12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Cold OBS Friday night 1/3-4/2014

famartin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlantic City gets unusually low during arctic outbreaks for some reason..  I remember this in previous years as well...where their temps undercut even inland locations in northern and central NJ.   Maybe a thermometer issue....or something. 

They broke a record this morning at -1. 

Flat terrain covered in snow with "thin" forests radiates well if wind is light.  This is a common South Jersey/Pine Barrens trait... even when there isn't snow they radiate well compared to the north.  Don't think there's a thermometer problem, since:

1) Its still ACY's coldest temp in nearly 20 years.

2) It's reading is more than supported by the readings of -9 at MIV and -8 at both NEL and MJX.

Don't know why my area is a toaster bath at nights, coldest i got was +3

Maybe it's the hill i am on

Yeah the hills did poorly last night because (I think, not a met...) warmer air was making its way here, or you could say the core of the colder air was passing east.  It just seemed to make hill tops even warmer than normal on such a calm night.  I'm not THE highest spot here, depending on the setup sometimes I do ok for low temperatures, but I knew I was going to bust seeing the warming trend coming.  Being so marginal temp wise around here (SE PA) I'm still glad to have a little extra elevation to help on marginal temp snow events, and the 2~2.5 degrees cooler during most of the daytime hours is nice too.  Freezing rain events I've given up trying to predict.  Sometimes the Lehigh Valley gets the worst of it, sometimes I do....actually I'd say more often than not the icing looks practically the same in most events.

I hit the ever so popular -1.3 this morning also......kind of odd at least 3 of us hit the same temp down to the tenth lol.

On radiative nights like last night, cold air drains to the valleys so the hills tend to stay warmer.  

I know, but last night it seemed to do that at the most extreme levels.  Most nights like that aren't perfectly calm and the difference isn't always there. (at my location) I live on a semi-platue and I'm not quite at the edge of it, in many places it lifts up slightly higher than where I'm at.  Some nights I do very well compared to say, ABE.  Either tied, slightly lower, or 1~2 higher.  Last night the difference was 5.  Of course if it's very windy I might be several degrees colder than ABE.  In May 2002 I tied or beat ABE was it 4? days in a row for that awesome stretch of frosty mornings around the 19th-22nd of the month.  Last night warmer air was definitely making its way here because many of us (me included) hit their lows a few hours before daybreak.  I had -1.3 on memory but was +6 at 5:30 am.  That time of the morning or even a bit later is usually my coldest time of day, even on the hill.  So I do believe the warmer air that made its way to our area overnight had the effect of making hill tops in our area even toastier than normal.  (compared to a calm, clear night where warmer air was not making its way into our area, or at least at such a fast pace)

On radiative nights like last night, cold air drains to the valleys so the hills tend to stay warmer.  

I see that on a regular basis in the mornings on my first water load of the day, snow or no snow. Anyone familiar with PA309 and PA100 from Tamaqua to Fogelsville knows the terrain. Even the smaller ridgetops (200-400 ft) can be 5-8 degrees higher than the valley floors.

I gotta post this, since were nitpicking over 0 to -5 temps.

Current Minneapolis, MN forecast  for Monday :

Monday...Mostly cloudy. Patchy blowing and drifting snow. Highs around 19 below. West winds 15 to 20 mph. Lowest wind chill readings around 60 below in the morning.

Monday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows around 24 below.

Archived