• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rain gauge problem on Vantage VUE

Mrs.J

I have a Davis Vantage VUE that is about 2 years old. I have had no issues with it, but after that last heavy rainfall we had a couple of weeks back it has stopped working. I checked the trouble shooting part of the manual and it said to make sure it is cleaned out of debris. I did find a few leaves in the collection funnel and took those out and then took the collection cup off and did clean that off. There was a bit of gunky build up on the tipping spoon. I checked the debris screen and cleaned that out as well. Then I slowly poured some water in to see if it was working correctly and it did record but did not maintain the amount. This past weekend when we got that decent line of rain come through I watched it fill very fast and then promptly the rainfall amount counted down to 0.00. It is like it did not store the daily amount at all in the station. 

I have read that the rain collection cup unit sometimes goes bad after a few years and if this is the case am wondering if I can just get a replacement cup. If not I am looking at possibly getting a new station. The one thing I do not like about this station is that you have to purchase the data logger as it dose not come with it. I had originally planed on purchasing the logger but just have not wanted to spend the extra $200.

If I do replace the unit which PWS out there comes with internet and data logging bundled? Also I need something that can support multiple receivers. My neighbor initially went halves with me on the station and I got an extra receiver so will want to get him a receiver so he can use my station. I also do not want to spend any much more than the Vantage VUE amount if possible. 

Thanks!

I believe Davis offers a refurbishment for around $100 or so. Much cheaper than having to buy a whole new station and you'll still have your Davis VUE without having to shell out the bucks for a brand new one.

Ok actually went to their site and I can get a replacement spoon for $15. Still need to decide if I want to get the data logger though. 

Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

Archived