Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
New Wiki

HalloweenGale

http://new-england-snowstorms.wikia.com/wiki/New_England_Snowstorms_Wiki

I just started it. Feel free to add stuff.

Looks like it can develop into something very useful.  However, I think your data source may be showing you snow depth when you ask it for snowfall, at least for some stations on the 11/21/89 event.  Also, stations that record at 7 AM show snowfall on both the 21st and 22nd - accum began about 4 AM at my Gardiner home and ended about noon. 

Some Maine stations, according to data I've gleaned from the UCC site - snowfall is total, including 11/22 (for 7A obs locations: 7:01A on 11/21 thru 6:59A on 11/22), and the 2nd number is depth reported on 11/21:

Rumford...7.5"...8

Waterville...8"...8

Lewiston...4"...3  (Here, the snowfall matches you map but the depth doesn't)

Gardiner...5.5"...4  (I measured 8.5" at my home 3 miles south of the obs site.)

Brunswick...4"...1

Portland...3.1"...1

Farmington recorded 11", with depth 8" on 11/21 and 11" on 11/22.

Great opener for 6 weeks of hard winter, huge winds, horrible roads as temps plunged from 30s to about 20 amidst +SN resulting in packed wet snow on untreated pavement becoming glacial ice, considerable thundersnow.  Lightning struck, among other places, a radio tower on Passadumkeag Mt (30 miles north of Bangor), with the charge running down the lines and frying all the broadcast equipment in the building at the mountain's base.

Looks like it can develop into something very useful.  However, I think your data source may be showing you snow depth when you ask it for snowfall, at least for some stations on the 11/21/89 event.  Also, stations that record at 7 AM show snowfall on both the 21st and 22nd - accum began about 4 AM at my Gardiner home and ended about noon. 

Some Maine stations, according to data I've gleaned from the UCC site - snowfall is total, including 11/22 (for 7A obs locations: 7:01A on 11/21 thru 6:59A on 11/22), and the 2nd number is depth reported on 11/21:

Rumford...7.5"...8

Waterville...8"...8

Lewiston...4"...3  (Here, the snowfall matches you map but the depth doesn't)

Gardiner...5.5"...4  (I measured 8.5" at my home 3 miles south of the obs site.)

Brunswick...4"...1

Portland...3.1"...1

Farmington recorded 11", with depth 8" on 11/21 and 11" on 11/22.

Great opener for 6 weeks of hard winter, huge winds, horrible roads as temps plunged from 30s to about 20 amidst +SN resulting in packed wet snow on untreated pavement becoming glacial ice, considerable thundersnow.  Lightning struck, among other places, a radio tower on Passadumkeag Mt (30 miles north of Bangor), with the charge running down the lines and frying all the broadcast equipment in the building at the mountain's base.

Tamarack,

Did I miss any events for NNE, or SNE for that matter?

Tamarack,

Did I miss any events for NNE, or SNE for that matter?

Some thoughts on 89-90:

Dec. 2-3:  This storm developed too late to do much in SNE, but dropped 7.5" (PWM) to 11" (RUM) in Maine, with temps in the teens.  It deepened the snowpack left from the 11/21 event and undoubtedly aided in cold air retention through December.

Jan. 29-30:  This event was mainly mix and slush in SNE, zero in Boston and just 2.3" in ORH.  However, Maine points ranged from 10.5" in Lewiston to 16" in Farmington, Rumford, and Rangeley, with temps 20s to near 30.

Feb. 4:  In Maine, most snow fell with temps in the single numbers.  PWM recorded 11.4" for their largest storm of the year, while other So/Cen Maine locations had 7.5" to 11".

Feb. 15-17:  This dragged-out underperformer might not be worth adding, as it gave 4" in PWM to 7.5" in Rangeley, and very little in SNE.

Feb. 24:  Was this a Norlun?  My memory was of near-60 temps on 2/23 crashing late in the day with rain changing to snow, then +SN through late morning on Saturday, 2/24 as temps continued sliding into the teens.  The forecast, IIRC, had been for 1-3" with a much stronger storm coming late Sunday, but the wrinkle on the CF grew up more rapidly.  However, this stronger storm plus the following cold HP kicked the #2 storm out to sea.  Snowfall was mainly 8-10" near the coast, both SNE and Maine, while farther inland -foothills/mts - got 5-6".

Feb. 24:  Was this a Norlun?  My memory was of near-60 temps on 2/23 crashing late in the day with rain changing to snow, then +SN through late morning on Saturday, 2/24 as temps continued sliding into the teens.  The forecast, IIRC, had been for 1-3" with a much stronger storm coming late Sunday, but the wrinkle on the CF grew up more rapidly.  However, this stronger storm plus the following cold HP kicked the #2 storm out to sea.  Snowfall was mainly 8-10" near the coast, both SNE and Maine, while farther inland -foothills/mts - got 5-6".

Yes, that was a norlun.

IIR there was a fropa and then a Norlun on the 25th.

Then my location was unaffected by the Norlun (and I remained unaware of it until now), as all our snow fell on the 24th, meaning after my obs at 9 PM on 2/23.  We had nothing but sun with a cold wind on the 25th. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived