• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New book on 1816 the year without a summer has been released

I was browsing in a bookstore yesterday and noticed that a new book on the Mount Tambora volcanic eruption, and the year without a summer that followed, has been released. It's the first major study of the event published in 30 years.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Year-Without-Summer-Darkened/dp/031267645X/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362858053&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Interesting, thanks for the link! :)

Tambora/Year Without A Summer is fascinating to me, as is the Laki eruption (and its after-effects) of 1783. IIRC, Ben Franklin correctly implicated volcanic "smoke" in the meteorological effects caused by the latter, but few if anyone explored his theory during the cooldown of 1816 (and besides, Tambora was half a world away from most of the people affected by the YWAS).

One thing about that summer that I had read (in SNE at least) was that there will still days in the summer that got into the mid 90's like normal. But a cold front would come through and drop temps into the 30s. and this was in July. It wasn't t like it never got warm, was just enough cold air to the north to cause wild temperatue swings farther south during the summer than normal.

Archived