• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
10th Anniversary of the Presidents' Day Storm

Thunder Road

I was only a couple miles from the border of lower bucks living in horsham and only recorded 25" in the 1996 storm

22" in the 2003 storm

10" boxing day

6 " 2/5/10 

upper bucks, allentown area and lehigh valley have pretty much got the shaft in all big storms the last five years as far as being anywhere near a jackpot zone

would be curious to know what totals people received in the northern areas in 2003 and 1996, is it possible to do good here in a big storm?

I live a bit south of Allentown on the south mountain (Reading Prong) ridge @ 900'  I measured several times in 96' to make sure.....and each time I plunked the yardstick into the driveway came up with 35".  (this house was in a small valley and didn't get much wind)  We had 10" from previous storms on the grassy areas before hand, that is why in the picture of the 2 guys (my dad and neighbor.....who is about 6' 3".)  the snow gets higher just away from the sharp cut the snow blower/shovel made.  (I was knocking the snow down lower so my dad could blow it lol)  The mailbox picture is a few days later after another 8" fell.......and mail boxes are about chest high...  In 2003 I got somewhere around 24"....was hard to measure though.  We can do well up this way when the storms aren't little lightweights :P  P.S. also got about 20"+ from the wet snow storm just after 2/5/10....was it 2-10 or 2-11?  Anyway in 1995-1996 snow depth reached 45" or possibly more, and we totaled 89" in my back yard.....I think we can do ok ;)   

post-5474-0-64381100-1361227873_thumb.jp

post-5474-0-60676000-1361227898_thumb.jp

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That could have to do with moisture content... I think '05 was fluffier with more snow from the back side def zone which had higher ratios.  The lower ratio front end warm advection snow was dominant in PDII since the warm layer that changed PHL and environs over the sleet never truly departed until the storm was done.

Okay makes sense...I still feel Levittown/Fairless Hills area received more than just 18" of snow...I think my location has the same "phenomenon" Brookhaven Pa experiences...

I live a bit south of Allentown on the south mountain (Reading Prong) ridge @ 900'  I measured several times in 96' to make sure.....and each time I plunked the yardstick into the driveway came up with 35".  (this house was in a small valley and didn't get much wind)  We had 10" from previous storms on the grassy areas before hand, that is why in the picture of the 2 guys (my dad and neighbor.....who is about 6' 3".)  the snow gets higher just away from the sharp cut the snow blower/shovel made.  (I was knocking the snow down lower so my dad could blow it lol)  The mailbox picture is a few days later after another 8" fell.......and mail boxes are about chest high...  In 2003 I got somewhere around 24"....was hard to measure though.  We can do well up this way when the storms aren't little lightweights :P  P.S. also got about 20"+ from the wet snow storm just after 2/5/10....was it 2-10 or 2-11?  Anyway in 1995-1996 snow depth reached 45" or possibly more, and we totaled 89" in my back yard.....I think we can do ok ;)  attachicon.gifSNOW2.JPG  attachicon.gifSNOW.JPG

i new it could snow more up north just not as much recently

2/10/10 came in on low side as well at 16", that is my only hecs snow i think i have got since feb 2006 but maybe there was one in january 2011 my snowbrain is fuzzy on that

Archived