• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
AUTO METAR cloud data above 12k ft.

The CL31 data is operational and can be viewed with ASOS software, but it's not output to METARs yet. Not sure why, but I imagine it will be in the near future.  

I think there is issues with it, personally I have seen the output miss thin high clouds, it looks right through them.

I think there is issues with it, personally I have seen the output miss thin high clouds, it looks right through them.

It could be the sensors. We've had issues with ours and adjustments have been needed by our el-techs. Most times lately, the sky is sampled pretty accurately I've noticed.   

Thanks.

In another ASOS issue, why are there erroneous gusts associated with the ice-free wind sensors and the New England blizzard? I saw it mentioned in the BOX AFD and the 85 knot gust at KBOS seems suspect.

Thanks.

In another ASOS issue, why are there erroneous gusts associated with the ice-free wind sensors and the New England blizzard? I saw it mentioned in the BOX AFD and the 85 knot gust at KBOS seems suspect.

The IFW sensors are another new senor that is having growing pains. We get calls from the ASOS monitoring agency at least once a week on an IFW error it seems. These are usually fixed by the el-techs within the same day, but over the weekend or holidays it may take a a few days. It depends on the class of airport and the priority of the error.  

Don't get your hopes up for cloud data to be reported above 12,000ft. ASOS's main focus is supporting aviation and providing data for the local aerodrome. There is really no need to provide clouds at that lvl for aircraft that are landing/departing.

I think you sort of miss the point, as ASOS is already capable of reporting it.  They just haven't flipped the switch.

I found this NWS document online regarding the approval and transition to CL31 ceilometers.

There are a few issues that the paper addresses with reporting clouds above 12,000 ft., but it seems like these questions have easy answers, especially since the use of "NCD" (no cloud detected) is already accepted in foreign METARs, regardless of the height capacity of the ceilometer used.

CL31 OFCM Meeting-2.pdf

Archived