Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather-related iPhone apps?

Hurricane Tim

Hey everyone,

I just got an iPhone, and I was wondering if any of you knew of any good "hardcore" weather apps for iOS. I am preferably looking for something where I can not only view basic forecasts and maps, but also look at the latest computer model runs, and check historical data. I'm willing to pay a decent amount (up to $20 or so) if it's something great. Thanks!

• Radarscope [$9.99]- well worth the $10!
  • Wunderground [free]- I use wunderground mainly for alerts. Why? They are fast, accurate, and extremely customizable. You can turn individual alerts on and off and you can get alerts for nearly everything... TOR, SVR, SVS, FireWx, Records Set, PNS, Fog, Heat, Wind, Flood, Winter, Tornado Watch, Tornado Warning, and tropical). You can also turn off alerts during certain hours.
  • iMetar [free]- plots local weather stations

I don't use any of the model viewing apps because I don't really like looking at models on a small screen if I don't need to - just not my cuppa tea!

Also: I've experimented with some of the pay apps that claim to predict the radar (the most famous being the crowdfunded 'Dark Sky' app), and they're as bad as I expected. Fancy interpolation being done, but not much science. It works fine for the average lay person who might not know how to interpret a radar but does want to get a heads up when precip is on the way, but I wasn't very impressed. Dark Sky regularly 'moves' the local wind farms as if they are legitimite echos in its forecast animation. I know what these apps try to do is tough, but I can't fault them for trying to meet a demand for people who just want to know if it's about to rain on them.

• 5 months later...

Archived