Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Cut-off fun 10/17-10/20

A-L-E-K

Stumped on what just happened here.

The line came through about 10 minutes ago so I went upstairs to shut the windows, and out the bay window overlooking the city there was a ragged low hanging shelf cloud passing overhead and the winds kicked up. At that moment my friend sent me a text "is that a tornado?" so I replied with a laugh and came back downstairs, and then she replied again so I looked out front as the shelf had just passed overheard there was a low hanging area of rotating clouds whipping around just northeast of the house. It broke apart a couple of minutes later, but I can guarantee it rotating at a good pace with the clouds taking quick defined shapes and dispersing -- looking almost brief funnel like at times.

Not sure what it was, but it must have passed almost directly over the house, and it's weird because there was a brief maybe 5 seconds where the wind got particularly intense and a whole flurry of leaves got picked up in the air from maybe 150-200 metres to the southeast of the window and blew past the house. I didn't think anything of it at first, but a minute or two later when I looked out front is when it felt a little suspicious.

I have no idea what else to say. This is what the Exeter Environment Canada radar looked like.

post-277-0-39814100-1350585605_thumb.png

post-277-0-23202100-1350587142_thumb.png

Stumped on what just happened here.

The line came through about 10 minutes ago so I went upstairs to shut the windows, and out the bay window overlooking the city there was a ragged low hanging shelf cloud passing overhead and the winds kicked up. At that moment my friend sent me a text "is that a tornado?" so I replied with a laugh and came back downstairs, and then she replied again so I looked out front as the shelf had just passed overheard there was a low hanging area of rotating clouds whipping around just northeast of the house. It broke apart a couple of minutes later, but I can guarantee it rotating at a good pace with the clouds taking quick defined shapes and dispersing -- looking almost brief funnel like at times.

Not sure what it was, but it must have passed almost directly over the house, and it's weird because there was a brief maybe 5 seconds where the wind got particularly intense and a whole flurry of leaves got picked up in the air from maybe 150-200 metres to the southeast of the window and blew past the house. I didn't think anything of it at first, but a minute or two later when I looked out front is when it felt a little suspicious.

I have no idea what else to say. This is what the Exeter Environment Canada radar looked like.

Cool story :)

Could have been a gust-nado. They wont appear very well on radial velocity either, too small-scale / no mesocyclone.

Archived