• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Severe Weather Risk 8/15-8/16

Jim Martin

Instability is slowly on the rise in semi... If the storms in west mi can hold up we might still be able to get at least some heavy rain here out of this.

Looks like we'll be lucky to get sprinkles out of this line around here. DTX said that they were scaling POPS back considerably after the complex pooped out this morning.

Wouldn't mind a bit of rain to calm the pollen down, but then the mold spores are quite high. Got orange mushrooms popping up all over the yard. Getting a bit wheezy. Six of one or half a dozen of the other.

Oh... I saw fireflies still around. Aren't those usually gone by now?

Looks like we'll be lucky to get sprinkles out of this line around here. DTX said that they were scaling POPS back considerably after the complex pooped out this morning.

Wouldn't mind a bit of rain to calm the pollen down, but then the mold spores are quite high. Got orange mushrooms popping up all over the yard. Getting a bit wheezy. Six of one or half a dozen of the other.

Yeah I guess I was too optimistic. Not too often you see 80% pops in the morning grids and end up with just a few sprinkles.

Yeah I guess I was too optimistic. Not too often you see 80% pops in the morning grids and end up with just a few sprinkles.

It seems to be far too common around here. I'm right in a persistent dry slot and I'm often surprised when we DO actually get rain, and it's almost always less than the surrounding areas get... or a flood. Take your pick.

I can sure feel this front coming though. Between allergies and aches I got a double whammy even without the precip.

It seems to be far too common around here. I'm right in a persistent dry slot and I'm often surprised when we DO actually get rain, and it's almost always less than the surrounding areas get... or a flood. Take your pick.

Yeah you whine about that a lot. I'll just go ahead and let you know it makes you look like a fool when you continuously complain about not being hit by thunderstorms, when by their its very nature convection is localized and hit-or-miss. Look at 30-day precip maps. I don't see any "dry spots", save for maybe the Detroit area. Add that to the fact that the Flint area has received ~5-6" of rain in the past 30 days, well above average, and much of the nation is suffering through a historic drought and would kill for the rain you've had, and, well...I don't need to say anything else.

Thinking that you always get missed by rain is confirmation bias rearing its ugly head and nothing else.

hey hm8, I didn't mean to push your button! I apologize if I offended you, but I can back up what I'm saying by looking at the archived maps of the drought monitor, here: http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/archive.html

You can see the little strip I'm referring to, from Lansing to Lapeer, which really becomes prevalent beginning with the July 10 map.

It's not so much I complain about "getting missed by thunderstorms" but more the way even larger-scale systems produce less rain over this area. Rain bands seem to either go north or south of this strip. Smaller storms have a tendency to either dissipate or change course near here as well. Why this little strip seems to be "feast or famine land" just puzzles me.

Believe me, I'm grateful for the rain we do get and also thankful that as of the latest map, this area is improving. I know other areas are in far worse shape, especially in the plains.

So I guess I'll shut up now.

Regards.

Archived