Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
June 13th - 22nd Severe Weather Chances

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit harsh to say...you have to give him credit for his effort, though. There has been times this year were he intercepted tornadoes that few, if any, other chasers saw (5/22/12-ND/Canadian border, 6/7/12-Wheatland, WY, 6/22/12 -extreme SW SD).

I've said plenty of times he is rightly thought of as one of the best chasers out there. Of course a lot of that has to do with the effort which is significantly higher than most. Most people won't chase setups that are such a haul of they're "marginal."

I just don't particularly agree with how he handles himself considering he is more or less an ambassador to the public on the science.

And agree SD is awesome.. when we went chasing "late" this yr I was hoping we'd get some high plains action as that's the best stuff out there IMO as far as photography goes. But, gaurantee no one outside the community cares much if at all about a tornado in SD. That was my point.

SD is several leading chasers' favorite place to do business, Roger Hill and Tim Samaras among them, although something tells me that all goes back to that fateful day in late June, 2003 (maybe 2002 for Hill since he caught that ridiculous cyclic supercell in Brown County).

SD is several leading chasers' favorite place to do business, Roger Hill and Tim Samaras among them, although something tells me that all goes back to that fateful day in late June, 2003 (maybe 2002 for Hill since he caught that ridiculous cyclic supercell in Brown County).

structure, openness, cool terrain. late season activity is more often than not so much better if you like photography/etc imo. of course it's a lot harder to time correctly if you don't live in the region.

structure, openness, cool terrain. late season activity is more often than not so much better if you like photography/etc imo. of course it's a lot harder to time correctly if you don't live in the region.

Very tough. Actually I took off Thursday - stayed in Ogallala, NE. Then wandered the Nebraska panhandle throughout day on Friday - wasn't until 5 or 5:30 pm until it became obvious I had to absolutely get to Southwest South Dakota - still very tough to get there. Even then - it was having to position yourself out ahead of the storm, but also along a highway so you could move. Unfortunately only highway was north/south. There was a gravel road - east out of Ardmore, but I feared the storm would actually cross that and turn the road into a slopppy mess... so it was follow 71 into nebraska - to chadron and then back north. Very fortunate on the intercept - for once a wild extreme gamble paid off - I always say I wish I could be that one that would go after the lesser played events.... Saw one other chaser group out there - think it was Chip Redmond... and obviously Reed and co. were much closer. I was close enough - saw enough and got the heck out of the way. Luckily extreme southwest South Dakota is not all that Hilly... you don't really get to the Black Hills until around Hot Springs - rolling grassland hills, but not too bad. Just not many roads.

Archived