ON SEPTEMBER 1ST IF THIS WAS A GOOD OR BAD INCLUSION. THE OTHER

THREE SUMMERS WERE WARMER THAN NORMAL EVEN USING THE CURRENT

1981-2010 NORMALS. THAT THREESOME AVERAGE WAS 77.0 DEGREES. WE ARE

CERTAIN SOMEONE WILL NOTICE THAT ALL OF THESE ANALOG SUMMERS SAW

TROPICAL ACTIVITY THAT AFFECTED OUR AREA: CONNIE AND DIANE IN 1955,

GLORIA IN 1985, ALLISON IN 2001 AND IRENE IN 2011. WITH THREE OF

THEM OCCURRING IN AUGUST, THEY SKEWED THE SUMMER PRECIPITATION

AVERAGE TO WET. THE PRECIPITATION ASSOCIATED WITH ALLISON WAS NOT

ENOUGH TO OFFSET A VERY DRY JULY AND AUGUST.

YEAR.............JUNE AVG..........JULY AVG......... AUGUST AVG.........SUMMER AVG.....SUMMER PCPN

1955...............69.2.....................81.4......................78.1.......................76.2.....................14.80

1985...............68.8.....................75.4......................74.1.......................72.8......................9.36

2001...............75.2.....................75.4......................79.9.......................76.8......................8.20

2011...............75.4......................82.4......................76.1.......................78.0....................22.02

AVG...............72.2......................78.7......................77.1.......................76.0....................13.60

NML.............. 73.3.....................78.1......................76.6.......................76.0.....................11.28

THE OFFICIAL CPC OUTLOOK FOR THIS SUMMER IS FOR A GREATER CHANCE OF

IT BEING WARMER THAN NORMAL IN THE SOUTHERN PART OF OUR CWA AND

EQUAL CHANCES OF IT BEING EITHER WARMER OR COOLER THAN NORMAL IN THE

NORTHERN PART OF OUR CWA. THE PRECIPITATION OUTLOOK IS FOR EQUAL

CHANCES OF IT BEING EITHER DRIER OR WETTER THAN NORMAL.

His mean doesn't agree with your analogs too much...even if we get a June heat wave.

He normally comes closer. I tell him I use the climo number (unless their is a heat wave or cold spell prior to the start of the season) for comparison purposes. Last winter I came closer by 0.1F and I was tempted to buy Angelo's pizzas for the whole office.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This makes 3 summers in a row for philly...I think it's time to throw out the 1981-2010 averages as normal. just go by the last 10 years. On another topic suburbs to the west of philly have averaged 3 to 5 degrees cooler this summer, it seems like the 81-2010 averages are particularly irrelevant for especially philly.

Interesting to contrast from PHL airport with their I believe near 40 - 90+ days this summer

At my house in Sea Isle City NJ - yesterday was the 16th day of 90+

In East Nantmeal, Chester County Pa - there were no 90+ days in August and only 7 for the entire summer - water and a little elevation make all the difference!

I've noticed many areas to the west of philly with 400 ft or more elevation ran several degrees cooler for the summer. I know it is always cooler in those burbs but it seems like the difference has increased in recent years.

You can't judge that based on Paul's readings, his site is unique. You would need to look at other, longer term climate sites, Allentown for example.

You can't judge that based on Paul's readings, his site is unique. You would need to look at other, longer term climate sites, Allentown for example.

Yes I see your point but I live near Concordville Pa and have over 400 ft of elevation and have been quite a bit cooler than philly in recent years. I don't know if it was always that way.

Archived