Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A new type of forecast

RainAware

Just came out. I am a developer.

http://www.rainaware.com

I would be happy to answer any questions regarding this invention.

We are fairly happy with it, but we will always be improving it as new situations arrive. The weather doesn't like being put in a box but we're trying.

NOTE: This app is all about getting precise precipitation times. We know the interface could use some more work, and it will be improved eventually. Also, the radar is basic, but sufficient to see what is coming as supplementary data.

That's a pretty cool concept for sure. I'd like to know more details of your methodology if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Looking at some of the screen shots on facebook, the way you present the forecast is pretty neat, like the one-hour rain clock.

For the timer counting down to the start of the rain, I would definitely scrap that seconds. This app is pushing the real possible accuracy of the predictions as it is, but pretending you can be accurate down to seconds is kind of a slap in the face to science

You'd also have issues out West with the mountains shadowing the radar beam.

Yeah, but that's only a small population being screwed ;)

Anyway, it looks like the primary thought in mind was to approach this from the standpoint of convective showers and thunderstorms, as they reference cell tracking a number of times. Kinda neat. Wouldn't mind trying to fool around with some of the programming myself too

• 2 weeks later...

You'd also have issues out West with the mountains shadowing the radar beam.

plus those of us with low angle beam blockage like most of us immediately east of the Green Mountains in VT would lose any predictability if it were basically radar based - they might plug HRRR equations

Archived