• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
East winds

Ottawa Blizzard

I've always wondered why east and northeast winds are often the coldest? I find that they're often colder than even a northerly or northwesterly wind. An east wind always feels chilly and raw even at the height of summer and in the winter can provide the most bone chilling air temperatures, not to mention windchills. Why is this the case? Finally, why does a valley promote an east wind (a prime example being the Ottawa Valley in eastern Ontario)?

I've always wondered why east and northeast winds are often the coldest? I find that they're often colder than even a northerly or northwesterly wind. An east wind always feels chilly and raw even at the height of summer and in the winter can provide the most bone chilling air temperatures, not to mention windchills. Why is this the case? Finally, why does a valley promote an east wind (a prime example being the Ottawa Valley in eastern Ontario)?

Quebec is a big producer of cold air and is north and east of you. Cold air surging southwards out of quebec is turned right by the coriolis force and gains an easterly component.

Also, easterly winds bring in low-level cold/moist air from the ocean at times I'm sure.

As for your last question, valleys can produce winds in many directions so I don't really get what you're asking.

Quebec is a big producer of cold air and is north and east of you. Cold air surging southwards out of quebec is turned right by the coriolis force and gains an easterly component.

Also, easterly winds bring in low-level cold/moist air from the ocean at times I'm sure.

As for your last question, valleys can produce winds in many directions so I don't really get what you're asking.

It just seems that whenever Ottawa is 10 degrees celcius colder than Toronto in the winter, it's due to it have an east or NNE wind blowing. Could it be because it's closer to the source region of cold air, i.e. Quebec?

It just seems that whenever Ottawa is 10 degrees celcius colder than Toronto in the winter, it's due to it have an east or NNE wind blowing. Could it be because it's closer to the source region of cold air, i.e. Quebec?

That's what it sounds like to me.

The topography around Ottawa doesn't look high enough to cause significant valley/mountain breezes anyways, only ~200 m elevation to the north. There's definitely an effect but it's probably small.

• 1 month later...

A northeast wind in Ottawa is straight from the Ungava Peninsula. A northwest wind is modified air from Hudson Bay, often warmer than inland areas. How does Ottawa do on a 270 wind?

Archived